Viewpoint: Chapel Hill is a public forum for students

The issue: With local elections approaching, two editorial board members share their views on whether or not students should vote locally.

Perhaps the best argument that voting in Chapel Hill is important is that legislators have repeatedly attempted to strip students of this right to vote in their college towns. 

This summer, Representative Bob Thorpe drafted a bill that would effectively prohibit out-of-state students from voting in local elections, contending that college students “unfairly influence” elections. 

This is indicative of the power a student vote holds. By voting locally, students can become a crucial constituency and impact legislation on issues such as college tuition, wages and regulations at local business and ordinances on everything from zoning laws to public libraries. 

Moreover, voting locally is the best chance students have to be involved with this critical civic responsibility. You are more likely to vote where you currently live than make a trek home for a local election. You are more likely to be affected by and educated on issues in the Chapel Hill community than those in your hometown. 

Voting in Chapel Hill isn't something everyone needs to do. Ideally, if you choose to vote here you will take the time to become knowledgeable on the issues facing this community — after all, this is not an endorsement of getting involved in local politics just to get an "I Voted" sticker.

If students are knowledgeable, then getting involved in Chapel Hill can make the town better for everyone. Every person wants what they think will be best for improving the town — whether it's better bike lanes to your full-time job or more lighting on your walk home from Davis Library. 

While townies have different interests and needs than students, we all should be utilizing our right to advocate for our interests. 

Without voting here, Carolina students could give up their voices here.