WOTS: What are your concerns for hurricane Irma?

20170831_E1-1-2.jpg
Exercise 02

All eyes are on Hurricane Irma as the storm cuts through the Southeast with torrential downpours and triple-digit wind speeds. While the storm is predicted to narrowly miss North Carolina, staff writer Hannah Lang asked UNC students if they were concerned about the storm. 

Victoria Gagliano

Senior communications major

“I actually transferred here from the University of Miami, so I’m feeling pretty comfortable just because it could have been a lot worse had I not transferred. I have a lot of friends that are there and had to evacuate and my best friend didn’t evacuate, so I’m a little concerned … but overall I feel like it could be so much worse for me just because I used to live in Miami. I guess I’m feeling good."

Exercise 02

Dylan Hall

First-year economics major

“I’m concerned, but I haven’t made any preparations. I figured we won’t get much besides like rain, at least, I hope. It won’t be as bad as Florida or the Caribbean.” 

Exercise 02

Claudia Opper

First-year pre-business major

“I was a little more concerned earlier in the week, but most recently I saw the map and it looked like it was going to be more westward than Chapel Hill, so I’m not really concerned about it anymore. Other than just trying to check like, where it’s forecast to hit, I haven’t made any preparations.” 

Exercise 02

Elisabeth Molnar

First-year biology major

“I’m not really concerned at all, I can take a lot of rain!” 

Exercise 02

Collin Worley

Sophomore peace, war and defense major

“Well like, I’m really not that concerned because right now the projected path isn’t really going to hit like, toward the eastern part of the state, which is good for North Carolina. But I am concerned for the people who are in the path of the hurricane.” 

Exercise 02