Al’s Burger Shack helps fundraise for Puerto Rico

Al's Burger Shack held a benefit night Sunday afternoon for hurricane victims in Puerto Rico.

Al’s Burger Shack offered Puerto Rican delicacies and live music Sunday to fundraise for those affected by the recent hurricanes in Puerto Rico. 

Al Bowers, owner of Al’s Burger Shack, said UNC student Charlie Carpenter sent him an email asking to do a charitable event. 

“He knew we did some charitable events before and I said, ‘Absolutely, let’s do it,’" he said. "That was two weeks ago." 

All proceeds went to United For Puerto Rico, an organization started by First Lady of Puerto Rico Beatriz Rosselló to help Puerto Rican victims affected by Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria. The restaurant's goal was to raise $10,000. 

Carpenter, who is from Puerto Rico, said his fraternity did a fundraiser at Al’s Burger Shack previously.

“I knew Al was really into helping out the community and doing whatever he can do to help people, so I knew it would be a good opportunity,” Carpenter said. 

Community member Tracy Livers said Al and Melody Bowers always do a great job supporting and contributing to the community. 

“To me, it’s just the epitome of who Al and Melody are and what they’re trying to do with all their restaurants, making the community a family and helping everybody that they can along the way,” Livers said. 

Bowers said organizing the event was easy because of generous friends in the restaurant business. 

“The distributors are willing to donate, the people are willing to donate their time. The majority of people working today don’t work here,” Bowers said. 

Robert Vaughn, a community member, said he came with his family and friends to try to help with efforts to support Puerto Rico. 

“It’s great publicity for him, but it’s also a chance for people to do something because right now, it’s a little hard to feel like there’s anything you can do that’s going to make a difference," he said. "So, this is a little something."

The restaurant served $10 plates of smoked chicken and roasted pork with mojo sauce, black beans, yellow rice with pigeon peas and tostones with garlic aioli. 

Carpenter said the federal government continues to help Puerto Rico, though he still has worries about future aid. 

“I’m worried that people will start thinking that everything is okay when really this is a long-term issue that is not going to get resolved any time soon," he said. "So it should require a long-term effort from the federal government.”

Baxter Bar & Arcade and Belltree Speakeasy also joined the fundraiser for Puerto Rico by having Puerto Rican rum drink specials. Beer Study hosted a Founder's Brewing Co. Tap Takeover and gave one dollar for every pint sold to charity. 

"I think if you look at the turnout, it's a great representation of the community in general," Livers said.