Cardi B becomes the first female rapper to top the charts since '98

Earlier this month, rapper Cardi B’s smash hit "Bodak Yellow" reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, where it currently remains. In reaching number one, Cardi B made history, becoming the first female rapper since Lauryn Hill in 1998 to have a number one solo hit. This surprise hit of the summer has elevated itself over a multitude of similar trap anthems with many lauding it as an uplifting, inspirational and empowering statement.

There have always been female rappers, but recently none other than Nicki Minaj have been able to establish themselves as A-list stars. However, Cardi B seems poised to become one of hip-hop’s next superstars. After coming onto the music scene in 2015, making noise with her two "Gangsta Bitch Music" mixtapes and finding some chart success with "Lick," featuring Migos member Offset, she released "Bodak Yellow," which is now certified double platinum.

Part of what made the song blow up the way it did was Cardi B’s intense and boastful personality that came through on the track.

“She’s such a personality and so bold, I think it’s the same reason people like Kodak or like Lil Pump blow up, because they really own what they do and she was really bold about like, ‘This is who I am, imma say whatever I wanna say on the record, imma challenge some of your ideas, like some of the norms,’” said junior Nicho Stevens, co-president of UNC’s Student Hip Hop Organization.

Her strong persona not only makes for entertaining music, but can also be a source of inspiration for others. Senior Rachel Maguire, co-editor of UNC’s feminist magazine "Siren," explained her take on the inspirational undertone of the song.

“I think that a lot of women, especially women who engage in sex work, really admire Cardi B because of that one line in the song, ‘I don’t gotta dance, I make money moves,’” she said. “She doesn’t have to dance, strip, engage in sex work anymore because now she’s making money and that could be empowering for some people.”

While some see her lyrics and backstory as having a feminist undertone, others are more skeptical.

“I personally think the only reason it caught on was because it’s a catchy song and the lyrics have double ententes, which people enjoy," first-year Gabby Dimaté said. "I don’t think it’s empowering, especially from a feminist perspective considering that she talks about being independent and strong, but she only achieved that through her sexuality and materialism.”

Despite the issues some have with Cardi B's music, her chart success can’t be denied and makes it clear that she is here to stay.

“When you say "female rapper," the first person people think of is Nicki Minaj, and she’s a good rapper, but its a misrepresentation of what all female rappers represent and Cardi B is a completely different style,” Stevens said. “She's not the next Nicki, because she’s so different, but she will be just as successful.”

@isaacrk37