Creatore, Evert lift UNC field hockey over VCU, 4-1

The No. 5 North Carolina field hockey team (12-3, 3-2 ACC) traveled to Richmond, Va., on Sunday and defeated Virginia Commonwealth University (10-5, 3-2 Atlantic 10) 4-1. 

Three of the four Tar Heel goals came off of penalty corners. In the first half, sophomore Marissa Creatore got one in off the assist from junior Malin Evert. Two minutes later, Evert got one of her own with 15 minutes left to play in the first half.

Junior Eva van’t Hoog converted the third goal of the game off a penalty corner, making the score 3-0 in UNC's favor. Later in the second half, redshirt first-year Kathryn Holland placed one in the back of the net off an assist from Creatore. But in the 54th minute, VCU was able to avoid the shutout by scoring a goal of its own. 

The game ended in a 4-1 UNC victory.

Both Creatore and Evert had one goal and one assist in the game. Head coach Karen Shelton had high praise for both of them — especially Creatore.

“She’s continuing to improve,” Shelton said. “We like her a lot. She brings a level of speed that not many teams can match.”

Creatore spoke on her fast-paced play.

“As a team, we try to work really hard and outwork the other team and just play our game,” Creatore said. “I try to up the tempo and just bring energy to the game.”

Creatore and her teammates will have time to refuel this week before taking on No. 2 Duke on Friday. The Blue Devils have won nine of their last 10 games, with eight of those wins coming against ranked opponents. 

Junior captain Ashley Hoffman, who leads the team in points with nine goals and five assists on the season, said this week of practice will be crucial if the team wants to see success against Duke. 

“I think our entire team just needs to get a little more competitive and hungry out there on the field going into Duke,” Hoffman said. “They have a lot of skilled players all around the field, so if everyone just does their job and we contain our composure throughout the game, I think it’s going to be a good game.”

Shelton said the team will have its hands full on Friday night. 

“The most important game of the season is our next one, and Duke is our next one,” Shelton said. “We’re gonna work hard to prepare for them. They’re a veteran team, whereas we are a young team."

With Fetzer Field under construction this year, North Carolina's home game against the Blue Devils will be played on Duke's campus.

Creatore and Hoffman said they hope to see Tar Heel fans make the short trip to Durham to support them as they take on the Blue Devils.

But no matter who is in the stands, Shelton said it won't take anything away from the intercollegiate rivalry.

“It’s an exciting event," Shelton said. "I love these kinds of games — and I know our kids do too.”

@esingletary4