Demi Lovato's 'Tell Me You Love Me' keeps her Disney days alive and well

Demi Lovato’s Disney Channel stardom may be over, but her new album “Tell Me You Love Me” reminds us all of why she rocks (she rocks, she rocks, she rocks on).

After releasing “Sorry Not Sorry,” an unapologetic jam that fired up our already 90+ degree July and kept morale high before hitting the grind for FDOC, Lovato showed us that she could “talk that talk.” The bar was set for her new album, and she had to prove she could “walk that walk,” too. 

Even though Lovato’s album isn’t named after this song, I don’t see the namesake “Tell Me You Love Me” showing up the jam that was more than just “Cool for the Summer.” 

What the song does give us is a healthy dose of nostalgia.  

The first verse and pre-chorus of “Tell Me You Love Me” sounds like a teenage girl’s confessional diary entry, and we get all the details of Lovato’s thoughts. When she says, “I don't know who I am without you,” I immediately thought of her 2009 hit “Here We Go Again.” Holy throwback, Batman!

Other songs like “Cry Baby,” “Hitchhiker” and “You Don’t Do It for Me Anymore” contain clear odes to her roots as an actress and musician. She shows us yet again that there is nothing wrong with being confident, but it is also completely okay to question who you are (and who you will be).

She’s definitely trying to sort it all out — the “it” being life, that is.

That’s a common theme throughout this album, too. Basically, every song is a list of everything that has ever driven Lovato crazy and her response to them. Me too, Demi. Me too.

Sometimes, you have to listen to your own advice and “Give Your Heart A Break.” Her emotion-dropping adds to our nostalgia and creates a jumbled mess of empowerment and confusion. Can’t we all just go back to "Sonny With a Chance"?

While a majority of the album rings true to Lovato's time as Mitchie and Sonny, a few songs would definitely not be covered by Kidz Bop or featured on Radio Disney. Just from their titles, songs like “Daddy Issues” and “Sexy Dirty Love” are too explicit and mature to make us think about "Camp Rock" crushes (An R-rated "Camp Rock 3" is still up in the air).

I’m down for it, though. As long as there aren’t any real feelings behind that “Close” guest duet you did with Nick Jonas, Demi. The other Jo Bros are also off limits. Sorry, not sorry.

All in all, there are a few potential hits sprinkled throughout the album, but most of the songs on the album are probably only going to be put on Spotify playlists by Jemi shippers and die-hard "Camp Rock" fans that still pay homage to Disney Channel Original Movies.  

But I totally identify with that fandom, and if you also spent the days before midterms and papers jamming to “So Far, So Great,” then chances are you'll dig it.

@JessHardison31