Letter: Why you should vote for Allen Buansi

This past summer, I had the opportunity to work at the UNC Center for Civil Rights alongside Attorney Fellow Allen Buansi, who quickly became a mentor to me as an aspiring civil rights lawyer. 

From the very beginning, Allen’s unwavering commitment to justice was clear. 

He was always one of the first people into the office and one of the last to leave. His list of tasks was long, but his patience was high. He traveled all across the state working for and with some of the most disenfranchised members of our state. 

It was clear that his job was so much more than a job, and his clients were so much more than clients.

Allen cares about people — whether they’re the ones facing unimaginable injustices or whether it was me, the 19 year old intern just trying to make her way. 

He goes above and beyond to hear peoples’ stories and to to lend his help in the ways that they need it. He doesn’t pretend to have all of the answers, but he vows to leave no stone unturned in finding them. 

Chapel Hill needs someone like Allen, a person to represent all of the people who call this town home. So I write today to say to the students, faculty, and citizens of Chapel Hill, let’s elect a leader that will make Chapel Hill work for all of us. Let’s vote for Allen Buansi for Chapel Hill Town Council.

Kendall Cox

Media and Journalism 

Junior