No. 5 UNC women's soccer beats Boston College, 4-1, wins seventh straight

The No. 5 North Carolina women’s soccer team continued to roll through ACC play on Saturday night, beating Boston College, 4-1, for its seventh straight win on the season.

The Boston College (9-6-1) defense was outmatched early. Four minutes into the contest, the Tar Heels (11-2, 7-0 ACC) struck first on a quick goal by first-year Alessia Russo from 25 yards out.

Four-and-a-half minutes later, the next shot of the game, a header by Bridgette Andrzejewski off passes from Abby Elinsky and Julia Ashley, found the back of the net to make it 2-0.

By the 42nd minute, Jessie Scarpa piled on another goal for a healthy lead headed into the break. In the first half, the North Carolina defense also held its own, allowing just one shot on goal and a blank sheet.

In the second half, the strong all-around showing continued into the final minutes. Andrzejewski capped off a two-goal night in the 78th minute to make the game one of largest leads for the team all season long.

In the final minutes of the game, the Eagles finally capitalized for their goal of the night on three shots on goal, which made the score 4-1 and prevent the Tar Heel defense’s fourth straight shutout.

Andrzejewski had a huge game on the offensive side of the field. The 2016 First Team All-ACC forward scored her third and fourth goals of the season in 75 minutes and accounted for three of the team’s seven shots on goal to lead the scoring efforts. 

While her teammates lead the offensive efforts all night, Scarpa had the most efficient game of anyone on the field. In just 22 minutes, the redshirt junior scored on just one shot on goal in her first action since coming off an injury that’s sidelined her for much of the season.

The Tar Heels came out firing from the beginning, but what became the fatal blow happened just nine minutes into the contest.

Andrzejewski’s header with more than 80 minutes left to be played was enough to bring home another victory for the Tar Heels. The 2-0 lead early was insurmountable by the Eagles offense the rest of the game, as North Carolina continued to pile on the goals.

Saturday’s matchup matters because it continued the team’s perfect ACC record so far this season headed into the last few games of the regular season.

The team extended its winning streak into the most crucial point of the season, when the competition continues to get tougher.

With just three more games until the ACC championship, the team is clicking on offense and defense and beating the teams it should beat handily.

If the performance against Boston College continues into the rest of the season, it will allow the Tar Heels to make a run deep into NCAAs.

The Tar Heels will be back on the pitch in Blacksburg, Va., to play Virginia Tech on Thursday at 7 p.m.

@_JACKF54_