North Carolina shelters offer new homes for Puerto Rico pets

puertoricodogs.jpeg
The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Wake County is accepting dogs from Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Maria to put up for adoption in North Carolina. Photo courtesy of SPCA of Wake County.

About 100 animals were flown from Puerto Rico to Raleigh-Durham International Airport, where they were divided up among various rescue groups to be taken to their respective shelters to find new homes on Thursday. 

This effort, organized by the Humane Society of the United States, comes in the aftermath of a hurricane season that caused large destruction across the Caribbean and states bordering the Gulf of Mexico — including Puerto Rico. 

Gavin Smith, a research professor at UNC and director of the Department of Homeland Security’s Coastal Resilience Center of Excellence, said the big challenge in Puerto Rico is going to be repairing and rebuilding their infrastructure.

“It was already dated, and the repairing of major damages sustained to the island’s infrastructure is going to be a monumental task,” he said. 

Smith said Puerto Rico's circumstances mark a unique state for relief efforts.

“These are issues that are not necessarily germane just to Puerto Rico, but I think Puerto Rico is unique because of the confluence of the level of damages, their compromised infrastructure, their current economic standing and their isolation,” he said. “These are all major issues that they’re dealing with.”

One way of working though this is bringing animals from shelters in Puerto Rico to North Carolina, where organizations are receiving, feeding and sheltering them.

Erica Geppi, North Carolina state director with the Humane Society of the United States, said her organization is taking animals that don't already have owners and moving them to North Carolina to put them up for adoption, so pet shelters in Puerto Rico can focus on reuniting pets with their owners. 

“Helping the people and the animals be reunited and helping those that are adoptable find loving homes is our goal,” she said. 

She said as the recovery process continues, organizations are partnering with the Humane Society to maximize the help given to the animals. This partnership greatly increases the number of animals impacted.

Pam Miller, president and CEO of Safe Haven for Cats, said this has had a huge impact on cats from Puerto Rico. Her organization got 30 cats three weeks ago from Jacksonville, Fla., after Hurricane Irma. 

“I think the impact on them is, in the short term, it’s very stressful for them," Miller said. "But in the long term, they’re coming to an area that didn’t have a disaster, so we have the resources and the ability to get them all the medical care they need and then find new homes for them, probably quicker than they would, certainly quicker than they would in the disaster area themselves.”

After a long plane ride from Puerto Rico, stopping only to refuel in Jacksonville, these animals now reside in shelters across the state and are ready for the chance to find new homes.

@cblakeweaver