SECU Family House fundraises more than $6 million for building expansion

SCCU Family House

The SECU Family House raised more than six million to expand their properties. 

For the past 10 years, the State Employees Credit Union Family House at UNC Hospitals has provided hospitality services to UNC Health Care patients and their families who live outside of a 50-mile radius of Chapel Hill. 

Recently, the Family House announced its capital fundraising campaign of $8 million, which will nearly double the size of the House and the number of people it serves. 

The expansion calls for a new building behind the existing eight-year-old building and will add 35 more rooms to SECU Family House. In total there will be 75 rooms throughout the entire house.

The $8 million raised will cover the cost of construction, furniture and landscape for the new building. 

“We are making progress so that we will be ready to dig a hole in the spring,” Executive Director of SECU Family House Janice McAdams said. “We need university approval, town approval and money. So we’ve got a check in the box because we needed $6 million to start building.”

Over the past year, SECU Family House has fundraised more than $6 million with private donations, hitting around 75 percent of its goal to reach $8 million. SECU Family House Board of Directors donated the first $1 million to kickstart the campaign. 

McAdams said they are ahead of their fundraising schedule. Their largest private donors include SECU, UNC Health Care and Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina and its foundation. 

“That’s really how we’ve gotten to the $6.1 million and then we went public with the campaign at our gala,” Director of Development Martha Aldridge said. “What that means now is we’re really going out there and letting people know.”

The house will raise the remaining $2 million through public donations through its “Share the House” campaign.

“The fundraising is coming from the people who know what we do but can’t stay here and they’re doing it from the rest of the state,” McAdams said.

McAdams said their goal is to make the house as comfortable as possible by creating a community-like atmosphere for guests. SECU Family House has more than 100 volunteers each week to help with laundry, cooking and other hospitality services for guests. 

Claire Veazey, director of volunteer services, said the House will need to double its volunteer count once the new building is complete since volunteers primarily upkeep the house. 

McAdams and Aldridge said they're hopeful they will remain ahead of schedule and reach the $8 million fundraising goal by the end of next year. 

“One of the challenges is folks not knowing what Family House is,” Aldridge said. “That’s a challenge because you have to educate folks and have them really understand the impact that we provide on a family. So maybe that’s not a challenge, maybe that’s an opportunity.”

@awhyteeg