Storied local leaders treasured by Chapel Hill, Carrboro community

Lillie Lee Perry Atwater seemed to know everyone in the crowded Chapel Hill Public Library conference room. The Chapel Hill native made sure to greet every smiling face that came her way with a kiss or handshake, asking about their lives and thanking them for coming. 

Even though Atwater was being honored for a lifetime of service to the Chapel Hill community as a nurse, volunteer,  breast cancer survivor and advocate for breast cancer awareness, she was more interested in the people around her. 

“When I got the call, I was very humbled and honored,” Atwater said in reference to being named a Chapel Hill Town Treasure. “But I haven’t done anything but live in this town, really.”

Town Treasures are selected by a Chapel Hill Historical Society committee after being nominated by someone within the community. Thomas Jepsen, a retired historian and treasurer of the Historical Society, said to be considered a Town Treasure a person must be over 75 years old and have demonstrated significant service to the community for at least 20 years. 

“It’s a selective process,” Jepsen said. “We never have a shortage of nominees.” 

The Chapel Hill Historical Society, in partnership with the Chapel Hill Public Library, honored its 10th group of Town Treasures on Sunday. The eight Town Treasures were awarded by the mayors of Chapel Hill and Carrboro for outstanding service in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro community. 

The Historical Society described the Town Treasures as residents that have shown exemplary leadership and have had an impact on the life and culture of Chapel Hill and Carrboro. This year’s honorees dedicated their time to causes such as affordable housing and proper care for the elderly in rural areas. 

This year’s Town Treasures are Lillie Lee Perry Atwater, Joseph Fearrington, Ted Parrish, Stanley Peele, Jane and Adam Stein, Tim Taft and Norma White. 

Past Town Treasures include UNC men’s basketball coach Dean Smith and UNC journalism professor and Tuskegee Airman Chuck Stone.

The Town Treasures were interviewed by members of the Historical Society Board and were photographed by a volunteer. Their interviews and portraits will be on display at the Chapel Hill Public Library, Seymour Center and the Historical Society’s website. 

The newest members of this elite club showed gratitude to be honored alongside fellow recipients.

Stanley Peele, a retired chief district court judge for Orange and Chatham counties said he was honored to be a town treasure alongside other community leaders.

“Did you notice Miss Atwater? Ball of fire,” Peele said. “And Mr. Fearrington? I just love him to death.” 

While the Town Treasures have dedicated more than their fair share of time and effort to the towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro, they are still looking towards the future. 

“I want Chapel Hill to be a bastion of kindness and peace,” Peele said. 

@maringwolf