Student organizations host forum for town council candidates

UNC campus organizations held a forum for Chapel Hill town council candidates Thursday. 

The candidates discussed topics mainly focusing on how their position will affect the lives of the students and how the students’ voices will be heard through the candidate's actions if elected. 

“Being aware of what affects you and other people is important,” said Emmi Farrell, a first-year in Civic Engagement, a committee in student government.

Farrell said there is a lot of negative attention on the federal government. It is important to be aware that what is most important and relevant to everyday life is what happens on the local level, she said. 

Issues such as Silent Sam and diversity on campus are at the forefront of students' minds with the upcoming elections. 

“We need to be focused on empowering and protecting the diversity we have on campus,” Farrell said. 

Pambu Kali said as co-chair of Civic Engagement, one of the goals is to heighten the awareness of local community politics on campus. 

“A lot of the policies that directly affect (the students) stem from local and state policies,” Kali said. 

Kali reiterated local politics has the greatest effect on the daily lives of students. She said it is important to not make campus issues exclusive but to expand them them to the community.

Jacob Greenblatt, president of UNC Young Democrats, said the organization held the panel to give students more of an opportunity to learn about and interact with the candidates for town council. It is essential that candidates interact with the students, as well as allow students to bring their issues and concerns to the candidates, he said.

He also said he hopes this forum would inspire students to go out and vote since the students comprise a large amount of the town’s population.

“Campus is not a bubble, the actions of the town affect the lives of students,” he said. 

@SydMGutierrez