Top 10 moments from Late Night With Roy

Luke Maye dancing at LNWR

Luke Maye dances in costume at Late Night With Roy on Friday night.

Late Night With Roy was packed with fun, sentiment and Luke Maye bricking the re-enactment of his own, historic shot — twice. 

Here are the top 10 moments from Friday’s event.

10. Welcome to UNC, Janelle Bailey.

The first-year post player impressed in the UNC women’s basketball team's Blue and White scrimmage on Friday. Bailey dominated the paint, thanks to quick feet and pump fakes, and she scored with ease over smaller defenders. 

Her best move came in the post when she head-faked to the left, spun right and swiftly converted a layup. Bailey is expected to impact a Tar Heel team that did not have much of an interior presence last year.

9. Men’s basketball team greeted by ‘Who Run It.‘

The DJ threw it back on Friday night, playing "Who Run It" — the hit song by Three 6 Mafia released in 2000.

8. Seventh Woods showing assertiveness.

Sure, it was only the Blue and White scrimmage, but sophomore guard Seventh Woods oozed confidence Friday night. Woods is expected to take over Nate Britt’s role of back-up point guard this season. 

Teammate Kenny Williams noted Woods’ enhanced confidence. 

“We’ve seen him dunking between the legs, windmills, all that good stuff,” Williams said. “His confidence is sky-high right now and hopefully he keeps that up. He can be a big part of the season for us.” 

7. Maye with the cameo?

The Tar Heels spent part of the night recreating the most memorable shots of the Tar Heel basketball program's history. The last one on the list was Maye’s shot against Kentucky that sent North Carolina to the Final Four. 

Maye had two opportunities to make the shot on Friday, and he missed them both. 

“Hey Luke, I’ll take the one you made last year,” said Kenny Smith, the host of the Late Night With Roy festivities. “I’m glad you missed this one."

6. Theo being Theo.

Senior Theo Pinson was the last member of the 2017-18 squad to be introduced over the PA system.

The fun-loving senior took two steps out of the foggy entrance and went back into the tunnel. After a few seconds, Pinson emerged with the 2017 national championship trophy. 

He circled the court, raising his arms and dancing with the hardware. There's no denying: Pinson knows how to make his presence known.

5. Upperclassmen taking it old school?

To commemorate the team’s redemption tour, the night's host introduced a fitting song, a take of Salt-N-Pepa’s "Push It" performed by the team's upperclassmen and the UNC dance team. 

Pinson, Maye, Joel Berry II, Aaron Rohlman and graduate transfer Cameron Johnson sported wigs of different lengths and colors in the dance routine.

4. Andrew Platek brings flair to UNC.

Platek’s first shot as a Tar Heel went just as planned. With the 2017 team re-enacting North Carolina's historic eight-point comeback against Duke — which was punctuated by a banked 30-foot shot from Walter Davis — Platek stepped up to the challenge and neatly banked in the shot. 

After hitting the shot, the first-year turned to the crowd, pretended to rub dirt off his shoulders and jumped up for a chest bump with a teammate. The showman within each Tar Heel was on display Friday.

3. Hello, Cameron Johnson.

The graduate transfer has some big shoes to fill this season, as he is stepping in for 2017 ACC Player of the Year Justin Jackson. Johnson nailed shots in multiple re-enactments before scoring double figures in the intrasquad scrimmage. 

Johnson, known for his shooting ability, showcased his mid-range jump shot on Friday that should be tough for opposing defenders to guard. 

2. “Coach Smith would be so proud of you.”

The night's host said it early, but that didn't make the quote any less memorable. 

Williams, who is entering his 14th season as Tar Heel head coach, was introduced after the words to thunderous applause, followed by close embraces with seniors Pinson and Berry.

1. Dropping the banner.

On a night filled with great moments and memories, raising the 2017 national championship banner headlined the event. The banner was introduced by a video, which documented the 2016-17 team's special, redemptive journey.

@christrenkle2