UNC men's tennis shows ability to bounce back after losses at UNC Charlotte Invitational

The North Carolina men’s tennis team was back in action competing in the UNC Charlotte Invitational this weekend. 

Despite it being the team’s third event this month, UNC had three competing in the event: junior Blaine Boyden, sophomore Simon Soendergaard and sophomore Laad Harrison. 

Soendergaard, who had the most impressive tournament for the Tar Heels, won three matches in the A1 singles, earning a berth in the finals, before losing to UNC-Greensboro’s Connor Thompson 6-0, 6-2. 

Soendergaard won each of his three matches en route to the final in straight sets and only surrendered four games in a set once during that run. Notably, he defeated No. 3 seed Scott Jones 6-4, 6-2. 

Harrison also showcased an impressive tournament in the B2 singles, only dropping one match the entire weekend. He fell in a three-set thriller, which had two tiebreakers, to No. 2 seed Matthew Fernandez, who came away with the victory 6-7(6), 6-2, 7-6 (7). 

After the tough defeat, Harrison kept his resolve and went on to defeat No. 3 seed Josh Ryan 7-6, 6-1, not losing another match in the consolation bracket.

Despite earning the top seed in the A2 singles, Boyden did not make it far, falling in the second round to Gardner Webb’s Max Scholl 6-4, 6-4. 

Nevertheless, Boyden kept his head up and defeated Vanderbilt’s Tate Allwardt 6-2, 6-4 in the consolation bracket before losing to UNC Charlotte’s Alex Garcia in three sets. 

Harrison and Boyden teamed up, winning the consolation bracket in the A1 doubles draw. They defeated Vanderbilt’s Alex Ross and Allwardt 6-1 in addition to Charlotte’s Jack Burkill and Ian Melnik 6-2. 

The Tar Heels did not bring any championship trophies back to Chapel Hill, but showed solid composure. They went undefeated following a loss and only dropped one match in the consolation bracket. 

Harrison's consolation bracket performance and Soendergaard's A1 singles finals berth were strong takeaways for a UNC team looking to build experience to make a second consecutive NCAA Finals appearance this spring.

@rytime98