UNC women eliminated Friday at ITA All-American Championships

The 2017 Riviera ITA All-American Championships concluded Friday for the North Carolina women’s tennis team in Pacific Palisades, California. The tournament kicked off Sep. 30 but the Tar Heels suffered losses Friday that prevented the team from moving forward in the tournament.  

Three Tar Heels – Jessie Aney, Sara Daavettila and Alexa Graham – advanced past the qualifying stage last week and continued onto the main draw throughout the weekend.

North Carolina’s Aney and Daavettila competed in the Main Singles Draw, while Aney and Graham advanced to the Main Doubles Draw at Riviera Tennis Club. 

Aney defeated Brooke Austin of Florida in the first round of the Main Draw Singles on Thursday 4-6, 6-4, 6-1, but lost to Stacey Fung of Washington in the second round in straight sets on Friday 6-2, 6-4. 

The 12th seed duo of Aney and Graham advanced past the first round of the Main Draw Doubles, beating Utah 8-2 on Thursday, but suffered a loss the next day against Texas Tech 6-8. 

Daavettila lost her consolation singles match Friday to Anna Danilina of Florida, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3.

Straight from winning the Oracle ITA Masters tennis tournament, first-year Alle Sanford continued her victory streak the first weekend of the tournament. 

Sanford won three single matches over the span of a weekend and advanced into the Qualifying Singles bracket. 

Sanford was defeated by Katarina Jokic of Georgia in the first round of the Qualifying Singles but Aney, Graham and Makenna Jones all picked up wins Oct. 3. 

Daavettila was seeded fourth in the top seed of the Main Draw Consolation bracket, making an impressive appearance at the tournament before being defeated Friday. 

Aney and Daavettila, who advanced into the Main Draw Singles, bowed out Friday after losing to Washington and Florida, marking an end to the 2017 Riviera ITA All-American Championships for the Tar Heels.

The 2017 Riviera ITA All-American Championships didn’t bring any victories to the Tar Heels, but it placed the spotlight on some key players who will be influential this coming season for the North Carolina women’s tennis. 

The Tar Heels return to the court at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center in Chapel Hill for the ITA Regional Championships held Oct. 18-23.

@awhyteeg