Ward off Friday the 13th scares with CHiPs "Thursday the 12th" improv show

CHiPs (Chapel Hill Players) is inviting the community to share a show and some jokes tomorrow at 8 p.m.That's when they'll be hosting their first show of the year, entitled CHiPs Thursday the 12th Show, in room 100 at Hamilton Hall. 

CHiPs is the oldest improv group on UNC's campus. They've been preparing for three weeks for their upcoming show. Senior Michael Fowlkes, who serves as the president and director of CHiPs, said that the group is trying out some new tactics that they hope will showcase something a little different in their performance.

“Improv is super fun. There’s something in it for everyone. And I like to think we are pretty funny," he said.

Fowlkes’ main goal is to have fun and get the most out of the performance. This is his second to last of his performances with CHiPs, and he said that he hopes something he does or something that his group members do surprises him.

Senior John Paul Zalaquett has seen CHiPs perform once before at Late Night with Roy and is planning on attending tomorrow’s performance. 

“They help me realize that we don’t have to take everything so seriously," Zalaquett said. "Even when things happen that are frustrating or confusing at the time in society, whether that’s in the political scene or the social scene or the environmental scene, there’s always something that you can take out of it that’s constructive or positive. I think that bringing this into their skits kind of brings peace.”

Zalaquett said that people should come to the performance tomorrow because CHiPs allows their personality to shine through in their improv. He said that the humor that students showcase in their shows “is just as valuable as any other type of art.”

Senior Allie Gaines describes CHiPs' energy as "invigorating." 

"The fact that they are doing improv and are still so on the ball and funny is fantastic. I think the ability to be so confident in front of so many different people despite really not knowing what you're getting into when you walk on the stage is awesome," Gaines said.

They will be performing a few rehearsed scenes as well as some rapid-fire improv sketches based on topics that the audience brings forth.

The tickets will be $5 and can be found online or at the door. 

@marinkherold