The Art of Giving showcases the work of local artists in time for the holidays

Art of Giving
Ellie Reinhold is one of 22 artists featured in the Hillsborough Gallery of Art. Photo courtesy of Ellie Reinhold.

The Art of Giving exhibit showcases art from 22 artists from the Hillsborough Gallery of Art that can be gifted to spread holiday cheer. The exhibit opened on Nov. 13 and will continue until Dec. 31.

“The Art of Giving is choosing a beautiful handmade gift by a local artist for somebody that makes it more spectacular,” said Pringle Teetor, Hillsborough Gallery of Art glass blower.

The Art of Giving exhibit showcases a wide variety of art media such as paintings, jewelry, woodwork, fiber art, quilts, oil and acrylic paintings, pastels, sculpture, ceramics and glass ornaments for holiday shoppers to peruse for purchase.

“For the first couple of years we had a different title for the Christmas show, but we’ve stuck with this one because it seems to fit the season of giving and the artwork,” said Chris Graebner, a Hillsborough Gallery of Art painter.

The Hillsborough Gallery of Art is an artist-owned gallery founded by a group of 22 artists in 2006. 

“The Art of Giving show is a little different from our regular shows throughout the year in the way that all 22 artists are featured in the show,” Graebner said.

The gallery produces art and hosts regular showcases throughout the year. 

“We’ve actually done a show by this title (Art of Giving) for a few years,” said Graebner. “We discovered that we really needed to have an event every month and so we started changing our shows to monthly.” 

The gallery brings local Orange County artists together with the community to show how art can be gifted to loved ones. 

“The idea is that we are producing local art in a variety of price points for people to buy a gift,” said Linda Carmel, Hillsborough Gallery of Art president and painter. 

Teetor spoke to the quality of a gift being one-of-a-kind.

“The purpose of the show is to show you don’t have to go to a department store and get 10,000 things when you can buy something unique and handmade,” Teetor said.

The opening reception for the Art of Giving showcase will be on Nov. 24 from 6-9 p.m. The gallery is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday and noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday. 

@mathieu_beni