Business or pleasure? How about both

Business and Pleasure
Business and Pleasure is a lifestyle brand helping people simplify traveling for business. Courtesy of Devin Patel.

Traveling for work is being simplified with new start-up, businessandpleasure.com. 

The new site is designed to make travel for those on business an easy and pain-free experience and more than just a quick visit. Business and Pleasure is achieving this through simplifying travel to the four key elements of a successful and enjoyable trip: coffee, cocktails, restaurants and places to stay. 

The site is developed for a selection of cities — Seattle, Raleigh and Austin, Texas, just to name a few. Despite being launched only four months ago, the site plans to expand its reach to more cities. Businessandpleasure.com has already grown from 100s of views to thousands. 

Devin Patel, the founder of businessandpleasure.com, was inspired by his time studying abroad in college to build the site and get involved in millennial business-travel. Patel’s excitement for travel is still a major part of his life, as he travels two weeks of the month to expand the site.

Just as Patel is revolutionizing business travel, he is driven to bring attention and praise to those that are changing their own industry. In addition to the city guides are interviews of local people thriving and challenging the norms of their craft. Katie Button, the chef and owner of Asheville’s Cúrate, is featured in an interview for her innovative take on authentic Spanish cuisine.  

For the San Antonio page Patel worked with Natalia Prieto, the account director of Giant Noise, a public relations and social media firm that works to gain exposure for its clients.

“Businessandpleasure.com is adding great content to the hospitality industry by providing in-depth articles and where to go when you are on a business trip,” Prieto said.

Patel worked with Tracey Johnston Crum, Director of Public Relations and Community Outreach at The Omni Grove Park Inn for the Asheville page on businessandpleasure.com.

“Devin Patel reached out to The Omni Grove Park Inn directly as businessandpleasure.com was coming to fruition,” Johnston Crum said. “We were pleased to be featured in Business and Pleasure as we see the future of travel decisions being directly informed and influenced by earned digital media in an even greater numbers.”  

Patel has engaged with UNC career services to try to aid in connecting undergraduate students majoring in journalism with PR firms. Olivia Clark, a current UNC undergraduate student, is interning with businessandpleasure.com, and Patel has noticed how she has already “grown tremendously” and that he sees his “mentors’ knowledge being transferred to Olivia.”

Going forward, Patel’s goal is to expand to more cities and continue to produce quality content. He also potentially sees a membership program being incorporated into the site.

Patel emphasized his strong desire to help give undergraduate students opportunities to gain experience and build business connections.  

“I want to give similar internship opportunities to undergraduate students, so that they can get their foot in the door,” Patel said. 

@isabellyperry