The fourth makerspace on central campus gives greater access to creativity tools

Blue makerspace.jpg
Photo for blue makerspace. Contributed by Allan Blattner

With the recent opening of Blue, UNC’s fourth makerspace, some students will have the ability to create without having to leave their residence hall. 

UNC students will have access to an innovative space in Carmichael Residence Hall with equipment they can use to bring their ideas to life either for class or just for enjoyment. 

“A makerspace is connecting the brainstorming of ideas and the ability to prototype them all in one space,” said Allan Blattner, director of Carolina Housing and Residential Education. “For example, the innovators could come up with an idea for a widget and then go over to the 3D printer to print one.” 

Blattner said Blue was designed to look different from what you would normally expect a residential hall lounge to look like. One side is a makerspace, and the other is innovation space. 

“One side has collaborative space, so lots of soft seating, whiteboards, TVs, tables that you can write on and a kitchen,” Blattner said. “On the far side, there are 24 3D printers, different kinds of computers, an embroidery machine and sewing machines.” 

Brock Pierce, program manager with Innovate Carolina, said the makerspace is a partnership between BeAM, Carolina Housing, the BLUE residential learning program and the Center for Entrepreneurial Studies at UNC’s Kenan-Flagler Business School. 

There are several residential learning programs found on UNC’s campus. Students involved in the BLUE work to bring their innovations to life through the Blue makerspace. 

“The Blue RLP has allowed me to pursue my own interests with a group of people that share a similar passion for exploration and creativity to my own,” said first-year Ari Singer-Freeman, a member of BLUE. 

Blue makerspace is open from 4-10 p.m. and located in the center of campus, giving the entire UNC community access to it. 

“The last piece that is going in right now are doors that are separating the makerspace from the residential part of the building,” Blattner said. “Once we can secure those doors and make sure that only residents can go through, the door to the outside will be available whenever it is staffed.” 

Blattner said Carolina Housing knows students are looking for unique ways to engage with the campus. 

“If you’re going to live on campus, part of the value of that is being closer to these kinds of resources,” Blattner said. “There’s a couple of classes right now that require 3D printing as part of assignments, and I want them to be able to do that homework sitting in Carmichael, so they don’t even have to go outside the building.”