Downtown Carrboro keeps residents connected

Carrboro town sign

The Town of Carrboro was incorporated 106 years ago, though it was then called Venable. It's now named after North Carolina industrialist and white supremacist Julian Carr.

At any given time, there are around 2,000 devices connected to the Town of Carrboro's free Wi-Fi, and Carrboro continues to be positive about the service they provide.

Carrboro currently offers free public Wi-Fi that reaches Town Hall, Town Commons, the Carr Mill and other areas in downtown Carrboro. 

When Weaver Street Market and Carr Mill Mall began to offer wireless connection, Carrboro began to work with the two locations to expand free Wi-Fi to the rest of downtown, said Board of Alderman member Randee Haven-O’Donnell.

The town set aside $5,000 for expanding the wireless connection to the Town Commons, the patio area of Carr Mill and the south side of Century Center in 2004. Weaver Street Market donated bandwidth for the project saving the town $500-$700 per month. 

“We were very progressive and pioneering in our purchase of the broadband bars and the degree to which we invested in broadband because that is what made a difference,” Haven-O’Donnell said. “Not only did we not have to go back and rewire the town as technology was developing, but it was very attractive for businesses because it was already here.”

In Carrboro's 2005-2006 budget, the town allocated money for expanding wireless access downtown in an effort to encourage downtown visitation. The town installed fiber cabling, and wireless access was expanded towards the ArtsCenter and the Midway area. 

“I think it’s a good way to help support our businesses downtown by supporting their customers,” said Board of Alderman member Damon Seils. “It also just makes Carrboro an easier place for people to hang out, so in that way it’s good for our downtown economy as well.”

Andy Vogel, the information technology director for Carrboro, said the downtown wireless connection has been pretty inexpensive to sustain. 

“Frankly, it’s just a good public service,” said Board of Alderman member Bethany Chaney. “My personal view is that internet these days is a necessity, a utility and to an extent, one that we can help subsidize.”

Chaney said that free public Wi-Fi especially helps students — both in high school and college — who require internet to do their homework. 

“It’s an equity issue, it helps us offer a service that is meaningful to people across income levels,” Chaney said. “It’s an economic development tool because it drives people to businesses, our downtown area, to places where we have a hub.”

@laurentalley13