Culture Shock event celebrates talent from around the world

37543_african_dance_pref.jpg
Dancers rehearse for last February's Battle of the Schools African Dance Competition, also hosted by OASIS.

This Friday, the Carolina Union is hosting an event called Culture Shock in the Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History from 6 to 9 p.m. 

The UNC-Chapel Hill Organization for African Students Interests and Solidarity, or OASIS, is spearheading the event and collaborating with other UNC-CH cultural groups to provide a fun night of showcasing the talent of different cultures through dance, spoken word and acting.

“Culture Shock is an event where OASIS will be presenting their talents," Bennetta Clarke, social chair of OASIS, said. "It is also a platform for other cultural organizations on campus to do the same with dancing and spoken word.”

The other cultural groups involved in the showcase are Ebony Readers/Onyx Theatre, the Pacific Islander Student Association, Misconception Hip-Hop Dance Company, the Arab Students Organization, the Caribbean Student Association and Moonlight Hip-Hop Dance Crew. 

Giving each culture a platform to express itself is a pillar of the event. 

“There really isn’t a main event on campus that brings together different cultures to showcase their talent," Clarke said. "So we thought we might as well be the first ones on campus to have an event like this.” 

Brittany Smith, a senior who has been involved with the group Misconception since her first year, encouraged students to come out to the event. 

“It is cool to see things you would not be normally exposed to," Smith said. "It is free, and it’s a Friday night. It’s fun to see something you wouldn’t normally go to.” 

An important part of the event is the way it gives each culture an equal opportunity to showcase their own talent to the public along with the other groups. 

The students are equally excited to witness the talents of each of the groups, as well as learn a  more about their respective cultures. 

Kaitlyn Karcher, a junior at UNC-CH, said she wanted not only to see good dancers, but learn something, too.

“I hope that it will be educational as well as artistic," Karcher said.

The event aims to bring cultural awareness to all of campus. 

“I hope (the students) broaden their scope of knowledge for the different cultures on campus," Clarke said. "This is not just something that exists outside of the United States; it is happening in their backyard."

Culture Shock is expected to bring art and education together for three hours of dancing, speaking and acting for the Chapel Hill community to witness.  

“I’m excited to be surprised," Karcher said. "I don’t know totally what to expect.” 

@alliebecca