Food trucks rally at second 'Rodeo on Rosemary Street'

Families and college students milled around Rosemary Street on Sunday, enjoying an array of food trucks at the second annual Rodeo on Rosemary. 

The event took place from 12-4 p.m. Two blocks were reserved for the event with police cars guarding each end. 

Chapel Hill Police Officer Phillip Smith said the police were responsible for the safety and the traffic control of the event. In light of recent terrorist attacks involving automobiles, the police department placed additional vehicles such as fire trucks to act as barriers. The department also increased police presence at the rodeo. 

The festival was organized through a collaboration between Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation, Downtown Partnership and the Raleigh Durham Mobile Food Association (RDUMFA). The top of Wallace Parking Deck was used as an eating space and provided additional entertainment such as miniature golf and performances. 

Food Trucks available included Cousin’s Maine Lobster, Bandidos, Chirba Chirba, Belgian Waffle Crafters, Captain Cookie and the Milk Man, Holy Mole, BO's kitchen, Morfa Empanadas, Dusty Donuts, Medley, Hot Chix Hotcakes and Chicken, JAM Ice Cream, Inc. Baguettaboutit and CockadoodleMoo. 

Non-food related trucks were also present, such as the Circulator, which was a mobile unit of the Chapel Hill Public Library and Petals to Go, a flower shop on wheels. 

Amanda Fletcher, supervisor of Festival and Events for the Town of Chapel Hill, said that Rosemary Street was perfect in terms of location and size. It was important that the event not block a major thoroughfare or interfere with the businesses on Franklin. She said she expressed hopes of continuing this tradition. 

Fletcher said that thousands of people attended the first event last spring, so they decided to hold the event again.

“This is the fall edition of that and we are going to continue to do two a year and maybe expand into more later,” Fletcher said. 

Attendees said they enjoyed their experience. UNC junior Harper Jones said she found out about the event when she drove by this morning. Jones said that she enjoyed the food truck rodeo and would return with friends in the future. 

“It’s an easy way to find a bunch of different types of food,” she said. 

Angie Gilliam and her daughter were parking to attend University Methodist Church when they saw the Rodeo.

“It’s nice for families," Gilliam said. "More people should know about it.”