Incumbents sweep Hillsborough municipal elections

Commissioners Kathleen Ferguson, Jennifer Weaver, and mayor of the Town of Hillsborough, NC, Tom Stevens, pose at a Chamber of Commerce event. Photo courtesy of Tom Stevens.

Hillsborough elected three familiar faces Tuesday, as incumbents Tom Stevens, Kathleen Ferguson and Jennifer Weaver all won their respective races.

Stevens was elected for his seventh term as mayor of Hillsborough, and commissioners Ferguson and Weaver won re-election in unopposed races. 

Stevens secured 90.6 percent of the vote in the mayoral race, according to unofficial results from Orange County precincts. Ferguson and Weaver, both first elected as town commissioners in 2013, won their second terms on the board. 

When Stevens learned of the percentage of the vote he received on Tuesday, he said he felt reassured of the town's direction. 

“It was very affirming that we got 90 percent of the vote," Stevens said. "It feels like that was a statement that Hillsborough is on the right track."

Waiting for the election results Tuesday night felt a bit different than in past years, Stevens said, as this was the first election in which he had been challenged since taking office as mayor in 2005. 

Weaver said she's excited to begin her second term on the Board of Commissioners and feels her first term equipped her the knowledge and confidence to effectively serve the town. 

“There’s a really steep learning curve when you’re a new board member, so it took probably two years to get my feet under me, understand how things work and acquire the knowledge that helps me be effective,” she said.

Due to the recent growth of Hillsborough, Ferguson said integrating new residents into the town will be a significant goal of hers moving forward.  

“It is important that everyone who is here, whether you're brand new or you have been here for generations, feels like Hillsborough is their home,” Ferguson said.

In the town’s future, Stevens said Hillsborough will look into a new Town Hall facility, an Amtrak train station and new road connections that increase mobility.

“We want to continue to promote the town in ways that are good for the people who live here, as well as the people who visit," he said.

Although there will be many new challenges, Stevens said he feels prepared and is excited for the future of the town.

“You’ve got to shift pretty regularly, because the winds blow a little different from one day to the next," he said.

@karltontate