Letter: Last week's victory gives hope for 2018

I woke up last Wednesday, immediately checked the front page of CNN and let out a long-held sigh of relief.

This November election marked a huge win for Democrats, and a long-awaited victory. The results reflect the national disproval for president and his wrongdoings. 

Among the Virginians put into office is Danica Roem, the first openly transgender person to become a state representative. 

Elizabeth Guzman and Hala Ayala became the first Latina women to be elected to Virginia's House of Delegates. Some of the unseated were individuals who were active opponents to the LGBTQ movement and who desired to strengthen immigration laws. The results help prove a long-held theory: When Democrats vote, Democrats win — and they win big. 

Liberals have a reputation of staying at home for elections that are non-major. 

Many minorities and marginalized groups are discredited through republican gerrymandering, and have difficulties registering to vote. Voters overcame these hurdles last week and gave a wakeup call to conservatives. 

Republicans should face reality. The president’s image is hurting the party, and other conservatives need to intervene. No longer should they sheepishly abide by the rule of Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan. 

The voices of these men are doing nothing to ameliorate the national discontent with the government. Instead, republicans running for office should embrace a platform unique to them. It would be smart to adapt to the progressive voices of the population, as the times are changing. 

Brighter times are ahead; 2018 is just around the corner.

Evan Myers 

Business Journalism

Junior