Chapel Hill Town Council met to discuss new fire station, American Legion property

The Chapel Hill Town Council met Wednesday night to discuss the sale of a retiring ladder truck to help pay for the construction of another fire station, among other items.

The motion to sell the retiring fire truck passed, and it will be sold in January 2018 for a profit between $275,000 and $300,000, after the Fire Department receives a new ladder truck. 

“I have total confidence in the fire chief, Matt Sullivan, because he did such a fabulous job of negotiating that whole Fire Station 2 deal, so if he is saying this is the best, sweet spot, of when to sell the truck, I believe him,” Nancy Oates, Chapel Hill Town Council member said. 

The site where the new fire station is being built also includes office space developed by East West Partners on Hamilton Road. The deal requires the developers of the site to pay $1.75 million to finance the project, while the town is responsible for $1 million and any cost beyond the approved budget. 

Construction at Fire Station 2 is scheduled to be completed in mid-February, but some unexpected construction costs have come up.

During excavation for the foundation, unsuitable soils and a significant subterranean groundwater issue were discovered, according to the meeting agenda. A new drainage system was installed to move the water away from the station, costing $190,000.

The two-story fire station needs two fire poles. Originally, $10,000 was budgeted for the poles, but current estimates suggest installing the poles will cost $70,000 more than what was budgeted. 

The Fire Department will broker a sale of their retiring fire truck to provide most of or all of the funds needed. 

The Town Council also heard recommendations from American Legion’s Task Force second report. The Council is considering the 36.2-acre property next to Ephesus Elementary School for recreational and public use. The Task Force conducted a survey and concluded that the most popular uses would be a significant multi-use pavilion, walking paths and sporting fields. 

Other uses discussed were affordable housing, space for Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation programs and pickleball courts. 

Other issues brought before the council included the proposed sale of property at 127 West Rosemary St. to Investors Title Company, and a proposed change in zoning decisions.

@apeterson016