No. 4 UNC women's soccer defeats N.C. State 1-0, advances to ACC Championship

Russo versus UNCW

UNC forward Alessia Russo (19) fights for control over the ball against UNC-Wilmington on Sept. 3. 

It only took one shot for the No. 4 North Carolina women’s soccer team to advance to the ACC Championship, beating No. 24 N.C. State, 1-0 in Charleston, S.C., on Friday night.

The offense was minimal, but the Tar Heels (14-2-2) played well enough to move past the Wolfpack (14-5-1) to continue their pursuit for a 22nd ACC Tournament title.

In the third minute of the game, sophomore Zoe Redei took an unsuccessful shot on goal that seemed to indicate offense would be plentiful. It turned out to be one of just four shots for the team in the half and the one of two shots on goal for North Carolina all game.

After the first half, the game continued to be back and forth with very few offensive opportunities to score. The Tar Heels took nine shots to the Wolfpack’s three and each team had four corners in the game. The team who could find a way to score would come out on top.

In the 56th minute, first-year Alessia Russo finally connected with her second shot of the game. She received a pass in the middle of the field and weaved through the defense until a window opened between two defenders. She launched with her right foot from 24 yards out with the goalie out of position and found the back right corner of the net. It would be the only goal scored, but it was enough.

For her score, Russo stood out as a key player on Friday. The recently named First Team All-ACC player took four shots in 71 minutes, and scored her ninth goal of the season which became the highlight of the game.

It wasn’t a flawless effort, but the North Carolina defense also stood out as well. The starting backline of Taylor Otto, Julia Ashley, Lotte Wubben-Moy and Megan Buckingham allowed just two shots on goal for the team’s 10th clean sheet of the season.

In particular, the defense’s ability to stop forwards, even when they slipped up, made a difference. Buckingham tracked down a Wolfpack forward headed down the wide-open field in the second half to clear the ball away without letting the team have a chance to tie it up. It was moments like that which ended up being the difference in a low scoring game.

The game was decided midway through the second half, when Russo’s scoring highlight changed the game. The goal put the pressure on N.C. State to have a goal of their own and it turned out to be enough for the Tar Heels to win.

At this point in the season, any win is valuable. The ability to win a tight game can be the difference after the ACC Championship, when the team’s season will only last as long as they can continue to win.

The Tar Heels will have a chance to roll into the NCAA Tournament with a big win over rival Duke or with their first loss since Sept. 7. The team already beat the Blue Devils 2-1 in overtime in the first game of the season.

If it prevents Duke from winning its first ACC Championship title on Sunday, it'll have a chance to carry into the most important part of the season with plenty of confidence. Although another ACC Tournament Championship means little for NCAAs, this could be a huge moment for the team’s season when they either catch fire, or not.

The Tar Heels will play in the ACC Championship on Sunday against No. 2 Duke in Charleston. After that, they’ll receive a seed for the NCAA Tournament which begins on November 11.

@_JACKF54_