Dozen Doughnut Dash returns after year off

13672_0917_donut_wolonick2f.jpg

The second annual Doughnut Dash in 2012. Runners competed with a 4 mile race and eating 12 donuts. Then-sophomore Connor Belson, the first place winner, eats donuts in between running. Photo by Jason Wolonick.

The Dozen Doughnut Dash came back full force Saturday after a one-year break. With doughnuts galore and over 200 participants, this year's race raised over $1,500. 

The Dozen Doughnut Dash, which was modeled after Raleigh's annual Krispy Kreme Challenge, donates race proceeds to the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center.

“It's much more relaxed, fun-loving, creative. Some people will dress up in costumes and run it,” said senior and event organizer JP Hussey. “It's not a really intense road race. It’s more just kind of out here to have fun, run, eat some doughnuts and come together for a good cause." 

The race began in 2011, but took a break in 2016. After being a participant his first and sophomore years, Hussey decided to resume the race tradition after a leadership role was passed to him.

"As a freshman I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and wanted to do it because it seemed cool. Sophomore year I did it because I had a blast freshman year," Hussey said.

Now, as the event organizer, Hussey hopes the race will continue and become a Chapel Hill staple. 

Martin Baucom, executive director of development and communications at the cancer center, thanked the runners at the start of the race. 

“It really demonstrates to the kids, the patients and their families that they're not alone in going through this.”

Baucom expressed the importance the donations have for Lineberger's research and treatment facilities. He said the money also provides financial support to help ease the financial burden of the families of patients with children who have cancer. 

“The community of people who are fighting cancer are making a difference,” Baucom said.

The race itself is a 4-mile course. It begins at the Old Well, and participants run down East Cameron Avenue toward the Gimghoul Neighborhood, back up South Road and back to the Old Well, where they eat a dozen doughnuts and run the loop again without going to Gimghoul.

Participants could run in either the competitive or non-competitive categories. The 54 competitive participants were required to run 2.5 miles, eat a dozen doughnuts and then run the final 1.5 miles. 

“I definitely want to eat all 12, because we signed up for the competitive race and finish regardless if I have to walk back,” said first-year Caitlin Mason. 

Non-competitive participants had the option to take the doughnuts home after the race and didn't have to eat all 12. 

Runner Taylor Figura took this approach. She described herself as a huge doughnut fan, even naming her dog after a doughnut shop, but decided to forego the competitive category.

"I'm not eating, I’m just running and supporting the hospital and the charity for it," she said. "I support it, but I don't know if I could do the 12 and then run. That's a little excessive."

@JessySnouwaert