Review: PlayMakers' 'Dot' brings warmth and laughter this Christmas

PlayMakers Dot

PlayMakers Repertory Company is performing “Dot” by Colman Domingo Nov. 22 through Dec. 10. Photo courtesy HuthPhoto.

PlayMakers Repertory Company's "Dot" is a Christmas play experience to remember.

Running at Paul Green Theatre from Nov. 22 to Dec. 10, the play was written by Colman Domingo from AMC’s "Fear the Walking Dead" and directed by Nicole A. Watson. 

The play balances the difficulties of a family dealing with their mother Dotty’s Alzheimer’s disease and the comedy of everyday family life. The warm feelings of laughter in the audience bring about a refreshing yet realistic outlook of the obstacles that come about when dealing with dementia.

I believe the entire play revolves around the anticipated arrival of Shelly’s son, Jason, for Christmas. Dotty is seen struggling to prepare for hosting Christmas Day, along with her eldest daughter Shelly who has been trying to look after her. Absentee younger siblings Donnie and Averie arrive later. The Shealy family reconnect with one another at Dotty’s home in West Philly. 

The wide range of strong characters clash on Paul Green Theatre’s beautiful signature thrust stage. Within the fighting siblings, I think Shelly appears to have inherited her mother’s in-control, organized thinking, Donnie is passionate and Averie is the loud and excitable youngest child.

I found myself both laughing and growing sad as I watched the balancing act between family love and family hardship. 

Overall, I really enjoyed watching this play with its mix of professional and amateur actors and stunning stage design.

The show runtime is 2 hours and 35 minutes, with a 15-minute intermission. The play is $10 dollars for UNC students.

@mathieu_beni