Be Loud! Carolina event aims to help young cancer patients

Be Loud! Sophie
Sophie Steiner, the inspiration behind the Be Loud! Sophie Foundation, took many photos, like this one of herself. Photo courtesy of Niklaus Steiner.

Cat’s Cradle is hosting the Be Loud! Carolina event again this year on Friday, Feb. 2. 

Be Loud! Carolina is an event put on by Carolina Creates Music for the Be Loud! Sophie Foundation. There will be several local bands playing the benefit concert, with all proceeds going to the foundation.

Through their efforts, the members of the Be Loud! Sophie Foundation have been working toward addressing the needs of adolescent and young adult (AYA) cancer patients. The foundation was inspired by Sophie Steiner, the middle daughter of Niklaus and Lucy Steiner, who founded the programs in honor of their daughter’s request “to help young cancer patients stay true to their authentic selves in the face of overwhelming illness.”

Sophie was diagnosed in 2012 with germ-cell cancer at age 14. During her stay at UNC Hospitals, she noticed the disparity in care between children, adults and those her age — the AYA age group. After she lost her battle in 2013, her family established the foundation to continue working toward Sophie’s goal of bettering the care AYA cancer patients receive.

Because of the Steiner family’s ties with UNC, they wanted the Be Loud! Sophie Foundation to resonate with the community who helped them so much during their time of struggle. Thus, the Be Loud! Carolina event was initiated. 

UNC student Sam Lowe, affiliated with the Carolina Creates Music Network, said he was excited for this year’s event.

“The whole mission behind Be Loud! is really inspiring,” Lowe said. 

This is the second year in a row that local UNC bands will perform, including MKR, People of Earth and Local Flora. 

Each band has a unique sound, ranging from alternative, funk, math rock to jazz, Americana and dance music. People of Earth said they enjoy using their music as a healing essence.

“Music is something that we work toward and something that is an intellectual pursuit but also something that’s emotionally gratifying, as well,” band member Knox Engler said. 

Engler also said he’s pumped for the concert because his girlfriend was childhood friends with Sophie.

“It just makes it more special, especially because it serves an awesome purpose already,” Engler said.

Other members Gehrig Loughran and Charlie Garnett agree. They also said they were excited to play at a venue so rich in history and so iconic to Chapel Hill. 

Local Flora, another local Chapel Hill band, is also excited for such a big-name venue, especially because this is one of the first real gigs they’ve had. The band has only been playing together for three months. 

“We’re still figuring out our set sound, but we’ve already dropped our first EP on Spotify, and we’re just excited to use music as a vehicle that acts as a positive force,” guitarist Eric Sugarman said. 

You can see Local Flora, People of Earth and MKR at Cat’s Cradle for just $5. All proceeds will go to the Be Loud! Sophie Foundation, to benefit adolescents and young adults with cancer.

@BetsScarisbrick