Review: Brockhampton brings energy to The Ritz, despite Kevin Abstract's sickness

Brockhampton
Brockhampton performed at The Ritz in Raleigh Monday night.

Self-proclaimed boy band BROCKHAMPTON rocked The Ritz on Monday night, showcasing their dynamic talent with a performance full of incredible energy. 

The group recently embarked on its Love Your Parents Tour, and thanks to a near-perfect set list, the tour is off on a fantastic start.

At first it didn’t look like the concert was headed in the right direction, as just seven hours before their performance lead member Kevin Abstract tweeted that he was sick and wouldn’t be able to perform. However, right before the concert went underway Abstract came out with a surgical mask on and then proceeded to take it off as the group began to perform their first song.

It was clear throughout that Abstract was sick, but that didn’t stop him from pouring his heart out on the mic. His delivery contained the same passion and intensity that a fan would expect. The few times that he did struggle to get through a verse or hook the audience was ready to assist him, which only added to the atmosphere of the venue.

The group started by playing some of their most eccentric and energy-filled songs, including “BOOGIE” and “STAR,” barely giving the audience a moment to rest. After these frenzied initial 20 minutes they began to throw in a few slower tracks, but made sure to never take the pedal off the emotional intensity of the performance. 

With seven vocalists it would have been easy for some of the members to get lost in the shuffle, but BROCKHAMPTON managed to highlight everyone. Even if a member wasn’t on a particular song they would assist with the hook or even the verses, so there was never a time that all seven weren’t completely engaged.

The large ensemble also allowed for an incredibly diverse performance even within songs. From Ameer Vann’s deep and dark rapping, Joba’s sometimes-angelic voice, to Matt Champion’s incredibly technically advanced rapping, there was always something unique and interesting being performed on stage. Champion especially shined on his verse from “SISTER/NATION,” which elicited one of the loudest crowd reactions of the night.  

As the concert began to wind down the group began to play more of their melodic tracks, all while still including the occasional banger. 

This section of the show was highlighted when the band performed “BLEACH” a second time, completely a capella and with heavy audience participation. Another highlight came in the form of the solo performance by bearface where he beautifully performed two songs with the accompaniment of his electric guitar.

Finally, after the performance seemed to be over, the group came out to perform the opener from their first studio album, “HEAT.” Abstract began by setting up two giant mosh pits before the group plunged into what is by all accounts its most violent, angry and aggressive song to date. They quickly transformed the vibe of the Ritz into that of a metal concert as the crowd became wild and the group delivered a performance of unfiltered rage to cap off what was truly magnificent concert.

@isaacrk