On the night of Jan. 8, UNC senior Damaris Osorio was in the shower when she was informed that her apartment was on fire.
“It was just the hugest fire I’ve ever seen in my life,” Osorio said.
Osorio was living with her boyfriend in the L building of Carrboro’s The Villages of Chapel Hill Apartments when parts of the building erupted into flames. While she said she was scared of the fire, Osorio and her boyfriend acted as fast as they could to save the essentials — their laptops and pet bunny.
The days since the fire have been difficult for Osorio and her boyfriend. They lived in hotel rooms for a few nights following the fire and have been struggling with addressing their current and future housing plans.
The Villages of Chapel Hill also housed local families who were also affected by the fire. The PTA Thrift Shop has been working to help furnish the homes of displaced families.