Spend your weekend with the top a cappella groups along the East Coast

(From left) senior vocal performance major Chris Burrus, junior political science and public policy Jabril Rice, and first-year vocal performance major Cole Covington rehearse their solos in preparation for the Clef Hangers' Fall concert.

It’s time to jam.

The Clef Hangers' annual Winter Jam will be held Friday and Saturday in the Historic Playmakers Theatre. Every year, the event features a cappella groups from across UNC’s campus, North Carolina and surrounding states, and this year will be no different. 

The 2018 Winter Jam will include performances from groups such as The Grains of Time from N.C. State University, The Bell Tower Boys from Furman University and Enharmonix from Appalachian State University.

“We've been doing this show for probably 10 or 15 years if I had to guess,” said Cole Covington, a member of the Clef Hangers and this year’s Winter Jam coordinator. “Every year we invite groups to come show off the songs they've been working on throughout the year. It gives those groups a chance to get their music out to a different audience. For the Clefs, it provides an additional on-campus concert beyond our fall and spring concerts in a more intimate and relaxed environment.”

Covington also mentioned that the role of Winter Jam coordinator has some significance in the group.

“It is tradition that the role of Winter Jam coordinator goes to a new member of the Clef Hangers,” he said. “This is designed to expose the new member to the logistics of organizing events and developing the skills necessary to produce a successful show.”

Although members are not allowed to release the list of songs that will be performed at the Winter Jam, they did mention some of the highlights of the event.

“I think the other groups being there is the biggest highlight of the show,” said Bram Raets, a member of the Clef Hangers. “We have the Grains of Time from N.C. State who recently produced an album, and they have a CARA-nominated vocalist, which is a huge award in the a cappella recording community."

“I think that’s a huge attraction. Just being able to hear these different sounds and music is an awesome experience. We will be performing our big hits and a couple of our new songs at this event as well.”

Raets said he was in a cappella groups in high school and knew he wanted to be a part of the music scene on UNC’s campus.

“I knew I always wanted to go to UNC because it was my dream school, so I looked into it a long time ago and had heard about the Clef Hangers and all of the creative things that they get to do — and I knew that this group was something that I wanted to be a part of,” Raets said. 

The Winter Jam is an annual tradition for the Clef Hangers, and participation in this event has grown from the Triangle community to across the East Coast.  

“We used to hold an ‘a cappella invitational’ where we would invite high school and collegiate groups from around the triangle to connect with the local a cappella community,” said Patrick Dow, a member of the Clef Hangers. “Now it has grown to more of an East Coast showcase of high-quality collegiate a cappella groups. People should come so they can hear some top collegiate talent from across the East Coast and have a good time.”

@krupakaneria