In summer 2016, the Chelsea Theater, located in the Timberlyne Shopping Center, became my dark hideaway. On fuzzy, humid nights, I’d make solitary pilgrimages to the little theater just ten minutes from my Carrboro home. 

I saw six movies there that summer (sometimes in exchange for a dinner out). The demure gem shows exclusively independent and foreign films, which can be hard to catch at other theaters until long after the release date if at all. I scolded myself for not discovering the Chelsea sooner than that summer. I’ve written extensively on these pages about how the Varsity on Franklin has represented a beacon of hope to me at UNC. 

The Chelsea, while a bit of a journey off campus, has been my favorite best kept secret to share and definitely another shaping landmark in my last few years in Chapel Hill. 

Last semester brought the news, albeit quietly, that the Chelsea might close “given the advancing years of the current owner it might be difficult committing to another five year lease,” according to the theater’s website.

On Sunday, 130 community members met at Flyleaf Books to discuss the Chelsea’s future and whether or not the community might pull together to help the Chelsea keep its doors open, which would bear a similarity to the Pinhook in Durham. 

A group named “Save the Chelsea” has proposed the formation of a non-profit membership group to run the Chelsea. 

The turn-out for this meeting was remarkable and demonstrative of the hope to continue operation of the Chelsea past the lease expiration in March. The initiative hopes to raise $150,000 in donations and $38,500 in members, “The Herald-Sun” reports. 

A GoFundMe page has been started, so even students can contribute in a small way (I’m not saying YoPo isn’t worthy, but maybe $5 of your fro-yo money can go to the Chelsea’s cause). 

I am graduating in May. Over the past few weeks, I have had a few moments imagining what it might be like to return to Chapel Hill in a few years and see which of my favorite restaurants and businesses will still be here. Given how often businesses close on Franklin and the ever increasing popularity of mixed use developments, I worry my Chapel Hill will be unrecognizable someday. 

With the increase of home streaming (legally and otherwise), going to the movies doesn’t always seem the easiest way to enjoy films. From the homemade taste of the popcorn to the cozy, cool darkness of the tiny showing rooms, the Chelsea maintains its appeal because of how homey the theater is. 

If somehow you haven’t made it to the Chelsea in your time at UNC, check out the next weekend showtimes and catch one of the soon-to-be Oscar nominees that’s likely showing there. 

UNC is home to Walker Percy, author of the novel The Moviegoer. In the novel, the narrator says, “The fact is, I’m quite happy in a movie, even in a bad movie.” 

If you’re watching a movie at the Chelsea, there is a very small chance you’ll be in a bad movie, but a very great chance that you’ll be quite happy.