Orange County Celebrates the 200th Birthday of an American Hero

A Frederick Douglass puppet present by artist Tarish "Jeghetto" Pipkins at the Frederick Douglass at 200 Kickoff Celebration on Thursday night. 

Chapel Hill-Carrboro NAACP held a community event last week honoring the life and legacy of Frederick Douglass in time to celebrate the bicentennial of his birth. 

The event was held in United Church of Chapel Hill, offering a night of discussion, art and song in recognition of one of history’s most influential figures. 

“He is a wonderful American story,” director of Chapel Hill Public Library Susan Brown said. “Everything from overcoming injustice, to the importance of education, to the importance of social activism — he’s just a major figure who we still feel the impact of his actions and his words today.”

The event kicked off a series of Orange County events that will recognize the ongoing impact of Douglass’ activism. In a climate of national discussion about racial injustice and gender inequality, the Douglass series is exceptionally timely.

First Vice President of Chapel Hill-Carrboro NAACP James E. Williams Jr. helped bring the event’s planning team together. Williams is a strong advocate for racial justice and ethnic fairness in the Triangle community and has been inspired by Douglass as a champion of human rights, equal rights and women’s rights. 

“Frederick Douglass is one of the most transformative figures in the history of this country,” Williams said. “Indeed, I would go as far as to say in the world.” 

Artist Tarish ‘Jeghetto’ Pipkins was commissioned to create a Douglass puppet, which he revealed at Thursday’s kickoff along with an interactive multi-media performance. 

Pipkins worked on the puppet over a period of four weeks before completing the figure and debuting it in front of a live audience. He is known for his complex, realistic puppetry and performances. 

“I got the exact reaction I had hoped for,” Pipkins said. “Someone even said they swore the puppet blinked.” 

Renowned gospel singer and scholar Mary D. Williams honored Frederick Douglass as well, sharing songs of the African-American experience from slavery to abolition.  

“It was magic,” Pipkins said. 

Orange County and the NAACP have planned several other events to celebrate the 200th birthday of Frederick Douglass, including panels, performances, discussions and a conversation with a descendant of the American hero. 

@ameliayk