SHAC-HIV Director Will Roper said SHAC is staffed by students pursuing graduate education in related fields at the University. The organization trains staff to encourage prevention, work with marginalized populations and offer more information than North Carolina’s sexual education provides.
“We don’t provide treatment," Roper said. "We’re attached to infectious disease department at UNC for treatment for Hepatitis C and HIV, and we have a partnership with various health departments for treatment of syphilis."
STI/STD Testing: Free
Carrboro location: offers testing, counseling and educational information for HIV, Hepatitis C (HCV), gonorrhea, chlamydia and syphilis
- HIV, HCV, and syphilis test results come back in about 30 minutes, while gonorrhea and chlamydia results are delivered the week following the test
Durham location: free HIV testing and counseling
- Roper said SHAC reports results to the University's Infectious Disease Department and sets up appointments for patients who test positive.
Bus Route: J for Carrboro, 405 and 5 for Durham
Campus Health Services
Address: 320 Emergency Room Drive, James A. Taylor Building, Chapel Hill, NC 27599
Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day of the week during the academic year
Campus Health Services offers testing for STIs, STDs and HIV. Thevy Chai, lead primary care physician, said CHS also prescribes treatments for diagnosed patients. Services are confidential.
STI/STD testing: can pay through insurance or out-of-pocket.
Campus Health Services offers testing at the following rates:
- Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and Trichomoniasis- $91.50
- Chlamydia and Gonorrhea test - $60
- Chlamydia only - $30
- Gonorrhea only - $30
- Syphillis - $9
- Herpes Type 1 and 2 IgG - $54
- Wet prep - $22
- Urine Pregnancy test - $15
HIV testing options at CHS:
- Oral swab - $29 in clinic
- Blood test through CHS (~2 days for results) - $29
- HIV 4th Gen - $29
STI treatment: can pay through insurance or out of pocket
Bus route: A, N or RU
Orange County Health Department
Chapel Hill Address: 2501 Homestead Rd.
Hillsborough Address: 300 West Tryon St.
- The Chapel Hill location is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday; 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, and 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Friday.
- The Hillsborough Location is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday; 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, and 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Friday.
About: Robin Gasparini, public health nursing supervisor for the Orange County Health Department, said the Orange County Health Department is mandated by the state to provide STI testing, and consequently provides free services by appointment through county and state funding. Gaspirini said the department handles about 12,000 visits for STD services between its two locations in Chapel Hill and Hillsborough. All visits are confidential, and clients can request the department not to bill their insurance.
STI testing: free
Both locations offer a physical examination, labs, treatment and counseling for HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia (females only), herpes, urethritis (males only) and trichomonas.
STI treatments: some free, and prescriptions are at a reduced-price.
- Gasparini said the department is able to offer prescriptions for Truvada, which can reduce the risk of HIV infection, through a partnership with Gilead, which produces the medication. Required follow-up appointments at the health department, however, are free and include assessment, counseling and a blood test.
Bus Route: to Hillsborough: 420
Bus Route: to Chapel Hill: NS