Letter: Interact with climate change deniers

My name is Miriam Guzzardi and I’m in 10th grade at Woods Charter.

I believe that global warming is a vital topic to discuss locally. 

Most Americans acknowledge global warming without realizing its impending severity. 

Even though global warming is scientifically proven, some people choose to believe that it’s a hoax, and I believe it’s important to learn how to interact with these people. 

For some people’s psychological health, and their fear of impending doom/potential responsibility, it is actually easier for many people to believe that global warming is a hoax. 

Neglecting global warming avoids potential financial and economic responsibilities as well as a potential life style change. 

Also, when the leader of the United States adamantly believes that global warming “was created by and for the Chinese in order to make us manufacturing non-competitive,” it’s easy to take that as reassurance or to blindly follow your leaders sentiments. 

It is important to sympathize with people who choose to believe that global warming is a hoax, so that instead of spitting facts at them, we can explore their psychological/emotional feelings. 

After sympathizing, it’s important to know, and to tell others what they personally can do to reduce their emissions of toxins into the atmosphere.

Miriam Guzzardi

Chapel Hill