American Red Cross asks for help during winter blood shortage

Red Cross contrib
Kavitha Gadiraju gives a whole blood donation at the Charlotte Donor Center. Photo courtesy of Amanda Romney/American Red Cross.

The American Red Cross issued a statement Jan. 8 asking for blood and platelet donations of all blood types in response to a nationwide shortage.

The organization said severe winter weather has hurt its ability to collect donations, particularly types O negative and B negative. O negative is the universal blood type and is often used in emergency situations.

“Hectic holiday schedules, winter weather and an active cold and flu season collectively contributed to more than 28,000 fewer donations than what was needed in November and December,” the organization said in the statement. "More than 150 blood drives have already been canceled this year due to severe weather."

According to the statement, the Red Cross provides about 40 percent of the nation’s blood supply.

Red Cross spokesperson Maya Franklin said the Red Cross typically experiences a slump during the holiday season but that weather has been an especially difficult factor.

“In North Carolina, we were forced to cancel 23 blood drives, and that amounted to us losing more than 600 blood collections,” she said.

In addition to hosting its own events on the UNC campus, the organization’s donor recruitment team is always working to find event sponsors such as local businesses and churches, Franklin said.

“If students would like to donate blood, I would first suggest that they make an appointment through redcrossblood.org, calling 1-800-RED-CROSS or downloading the Blood Donor App. They’ll have the ability to make an appointment and get a rapid pass on the day of their appointment,” she said.

Once donors arrive, the entire donation process takes about 45 minutes to an hour, Franklin said.

The two largest blood drives on the UNC campus are the Holiday Blood drive, which took place Dec. 12, and the Carolina Blood Drive. The 30th Annual Carolina Blood Drive will take place in June.

Sophomore Lesley Chao has donated several times at Red Cross blood drives in the Student Union and twice at the annual Carolina Blood Drive hosted by the University.

“After I had a great experience donating with them, I actively sought out drives in Chapel Hill, which was really easy because the Red Cross has drives right on campus all the time,” she said.

Students interested in donating can attend an on-campus blood drive or use the Red Cross website to find other events in the Chapel Hill area. Additionally, Red Cross donation centers are open seven days a week.

“It's a really easy way to give back,” Chao said. “It's also a great way to get over your fear of needles because you can just think about how you're doing something for others.”

@paynelubbs