Review: BonChon brings new taste to Franklin

BonChon recently opened on Franklin Street near Linda’s Bar and Grill. Specializing in Korean fried chicken, BonChon breaks up the monotony of Asian restaurants on Franklin Street with a contemporary flare. 

Atmosphere

The newly renovated restaurant has a spacious layout with a new upstairs feature to expand on seating. The sleek black and red interior feels modern, yet casual enough to grab lunch with your friends. The big windows offer the restaurant a lot of natural light, and it's a fun way to casually people-watch on the upper quad. 

A tall wraparound bar engulfs the back corner for those who are over 21. With chopsticks and a paper placemat awaiting your table, the variety of menu items are perfect for sharing with friends or family. 

Food

The fried chicken is a must. I recommend choosing the half spicy and half soy garlic for the full experience. The crunch is like no other wing I've ever had before. The wings come with a side of pickled radish for those who need a balance when eating. However, it's a bit too expensive to make it a regular wing place for game days.

Sharing the bibimbap with friends was the perfect combination. We ordered the spicy chicken to give it a kick, and for those who can't handle spice, I would recommend the tofu. I had never had bibimbap before, and was delighted with the mixture of rice, vegetables and chicken. To me, it seemed like the Korean version of a stir fry. 

We ordered the house fried rice with bulgogi (Korean BBQ) to complete our meal. This felt overpriced at $13.95. The fried rice was nothing out of the ordinary, and we had to search for the bulgogi. I would definitely not order this when you can make it at home for $5. 

Overall, it felt worth the try. It was a good place for lunch, but nothing five star worthy. 

Cost

Compared to other Franklin restaurants, especially Linda’s Bar and Grill and Time-Out right next door, this place was not cheap for college kids. For three things, the total was $42.85 — not very affordable for those on a budget. Now that I’ve tried it, I probably won't be going back unless it's for a birthday or special occasion. 

Conclusion

BonChon offers a unique and creative menus for those who tire of the typical Franklin places. Yet I can’t help but think it won't draw the same crowd as Spicy 9. 

@carollevinee