Word on the Street: What are you doing with your snow day?

hayley.png

Whether it was sleeping in late, thawing inside Chase Dining Hall with hot chocolate or racing your friends down Skipper Bowles Drive in an Olympic-level sledding competition, staff writer Marine Elia got the scoop on how students spent their snow day. 

Liz Finnessy

First-year nursing major  

“I like building snowmen because it’s a creative endeavor. You get to create whatever kind of snowman you want! Formal, cowboy, cute ... any kind of snowman.” 

From left to right:

Diana Hernandez 

First-year psychology major 

“It reminds me of my childhood, because it feels like a big slumber party.”

Cate Byrne 

First-year political science/peace, war, and defense double major

“My hometown is in the Midwest, so all this snow reminds me of snows back home where I’d sled with my friends, and my mom would make us hot chocolate.”

Courtney Halverson 

First-year undecided major

“The snow has been great because it’s been a long time since I’ve really seen snow — I’m from Texas. But just walking to Ram's and seeing everyone smiling and throwing snowballs is just a great time and a great day to be a Tar Heel, as always!”

Megan Burnette 

First-year health policy management major

“I like trekking through the snow and having snowball fights with my friends on the way to the dining hall.” 

Joseph Womble

Sophomore public policy major

“Honestly, this is the best snow I can remember from my time in N.C., it’s packable for snowmen and snowballs, and lots of fun to play in. It’s nice to only deal with this occasionally rather than the freezing cold of up North. I’m so excited to go sledding on Skipper Bowles! And tonight, curl up in my bed drinking hot cocoa and watching Netflix.”

Claire Houlihan 

Sophomore environmental sciences major

“I learned that building an ET is a good alternative to a snowman when you’re from the South.”

Sarah Michalak 

Sophomore undecided major   

“I like to spend time with friends and watch all the excitement. It’s a lot of fun to have a day off class and build snowmen with your favorite people.”

Rainella Labadie

First-year psychology major

“It’s my first time seeing snow, and I love the feeling as it falls on my face — like kisses or blessings.”

Hayley Hayes 

First-year political science/history double major

“I like to spend time with my friends and watch movies. I love to sled and build snowmen.”