Tar Heels in the Pros: Isaiah Hicks impressing in G-League, Mack Hollins in playoffs

Isaiah Hicks
Former UNC forward Isaiah Hicks (4) takes a jumper against Oregon in the 2017 Final Four in Glendale, Ariz.

Fly, Mack Hollins, fly.

The former North Carolina football wide receiver is enjoying his first season in the NFL with the Philadelphia Eagles and is the lone Tar Heel remaining in the NFL playoffs.

After losing quarterback Carson Wentz, the potential head MVP candidate, to an ACL tear on Dec. 10, the Eagles' once high hopes surrounding a successful season quickly turned dismal. 

However, on Saturday evening, the Eagles took down the Atlanta Falcons, 15-10, to advance to the NFC Championship game.

Former North Carolina wide receiver Mack Hollins (13) celebrates a touchdown against Pittsburgh last fall.

Hollins, who was selected in the fourth round as the 118th overall pick of the 2017 NFL Draft, finished with one reception for nine yards in his first career postseason game. 

His catch came off of a pass by quarterback Nick Foles with a little less than 10 minutes left to play in the fourth quarter. 

The reception by Hollins added to his 16 receptions, 226 yards and one touchdown in the 2017 regular season.

His biggest moment of the regular season was when he earned his first career NFL touchdown on Oct. 23 with a 64-yard reception in a 34-24 win over the Washington Redskins during Monday Night Football. 

Prior to the matchup that featured the touchdown, Hollins became newsworthy after he was spotted riding his bicycle on the way to Lincoln Financial Field.

The former Tar Heel and the Eagles will take on the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday at 6:40 p.m. in hopes of advancing to Super Bowl LII. The wide receiver isn’t the only Tar Heel making a name for himself in a professional league, though.

Former UNC basketball forward Isaiah Hicks is playing well for the Westchester Knicks in the NBA G League. Hicks is on a two-way contract with the New York Knicks.

Westchester sits atop the Atlantic Division of the G League Eastern Conference with a 19-10 record.

In the 26 games that Hicks has played during the 2017-18 NBA G League season so far, he has started in 25 of them while averaging 29.3 minutes per game. The former Tar Heel is averaging 15.5 points, 8.3 rebounds, and 1.8 blocks on the season. 

“You can immediately see the physical talent that he has,” Westchester head coach Mike Miller told MSG Networks. “A guy with his size has great agility and is powerful, which is a rare combination sometimes.”

Westchester’s most recent game was on Jan. 12 against Brice Johnson and the Agua Caliente Clippers. Hicks finished with 14 points, 8 rebounds, and 7 blocks in a 116-97 victory. 

If Hicks continues to develop his skills in New York, good things will come his way. He told MSG Networks that he is hoping to “bust open the door” of his two-way contract.

@jordymae012