Buckingham, Elinsky and Boyles drafted by NWSL teams on Thursday

Joanna Boyles.jpg
Joanna Boyles (10) attempts a tackle against a Syracuse player.

Three former midfielders for the North Carolina women’s soccer team were selected during the National Women’s Soccer League draft on Thursday.

Megan Buckingham, Abby Elinsky and Joanna Boyles will soon start their professional careers after finishing up their final collegiate season during a Sweet Sixteen run last season.  

Buckingham was drafted by the Chicago Red Stars with the 24th overall pick in the third round. The former 2014 ACC Freshman of the Year was a four-year starter for UNC at midfield before head coach Anson Dorrance moved her to defender during the ACC Tournament in 2017. She was named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll three times and played nearly every minute from the ACC Tournament to the end of the season her senior year. 

Elinsky was selected 30th overall in the third round by the Houston Dash. Elinsky played for UNC for three seasons after transferring from Illinois. During her time in Chapel Hill, she started often and scored a goal in each of the 2016 and 2017 NCAA Tournament. 

Boyles was selected in the fourth round by the Boston Breakers with the 32nd overall pick. In December, she was selected to the 2017 United Soccer Coaches Division I Women's Scholar All-South Region First-Team and the Coaches Association Scholar All-America Third-Team. She was also named to the regular season All-ACC Second Team in 2017.

Defender Maya Worth, who missed much of her final season due to injury, also registered for the draft, though she was not selected.  

@_JACKF54_