North Carolina baseball ends three game skid, beats ECU 5-4

UNC team huddle
The North Carolina baseball team huddles before its game against St. John's on Feb. 21 at Boshamer Stadium.

The North Carolina baseball team defeated the ECU Pirates 5-4 on Saturday night in Durham Bulls Athletic Park.

The Tar Heels drew first blood in the top of the first inning when junior catcher Cody Roberts scored from second base on a two-out single from sophomore Michael Busch. This hit was Busch’s 11th RBI of the season. Sophomore pitcher Tyler Baum took the mound for UNC. Baum sat the Pirates down in order in the bottom of the first inning with one strikeout.

North Carolina was held scoreless in top of the second inning, failing to record a hit. Despite allowing two base runners in the bottom of the second, Baum struck out three ECU batters getting the Tar Heels out of the inning unscathed. 

In the top of the third, junior Kyle Datres jump started the UNC offense with a one out double to the left field corner. Cody Roberts followed Datres by reaching first base after being hit by a pitch. With runners on first and second Michael Busch lined a single to right field, bringing home Datres and giving North Carolina a two run lead. After advancing to third on Busch’s single, Roberts scored on a wild pitch giving UNC a 3-0 lead. Busch advanced to third base on a groundout by senior Zack Gahagan, which was followed by two walks to load the bases. Facing an 0-2 count, junior Dylan Enwiller hit a line drive right to the first baseman to end the inning with no more runs scored. 

Baum followed up his second inning performance by striking out the lead-off batter in the third. Things wouldn’t go as smoothly later in the inning. After recording the second out of the inning, North Carolina gave up two consecutive base hits, but Baum got out of the jam by getting a fly out to end the inning.

UNC had the bases loaded with two outs in top of the fourth after an infield single by redshirt sophomore Dallas Tessar was followed by two walks. The Tar Heels couldn’t capitalize on this opportunity, however, as Zack Gahagan grounded out to end the inning. ECU couldn’t muster up any offense in the bottom of the inning. After a foul out and a groundout, Baum got junior Dwanya Williams-Sutton to strike out swinging.

In the fifth, the Tar Heels’ first two batters got on base, but a fielder's choice and a runner caught stealing left UNC with a man on second and two outs. Sophomore Ike Freeman drew a walk to put runners on first and second, but Dallas Tessar popped out for the final out. 

Tyler Baum kicked off the bottom of the fifth with his seventh strikeout of the game, but it was quickly forgotten as ECU junior Brady Lloyd doubled to right center. The next batter, ECU junior Turner Brown, hit a single to right center that brought home Lloyd, cutting their deficit to 3-1. With two outs, sophomore Austin Bergner rcame in for Baum. However, on his first pitch, Bergner gave up a three-run homerun to Spencer Brickhouse to give the Pirates a 4-3 lead.

After surrendering four runs in the fifth inning, North Carolina quickly responded. Kyle Datres launched the first pitch of the inning over the left field wall, tying the score at four. Bergner opened the bottom half of the inning with a four pitch walk, but a strikeout and a double play shut the door on the Pirates.

Martorano led off the seventh inning with double off the left field wall. A bunt single by Enwiller put runners on first and third with no outs. Ike Freeman grounded into a double play, but Martorano scored on the play, giving the Tar Heels a 5-4 lead.

After ECU loaded the bases in the bottom of the eighth with only one out, UNC turned a double play to escape the inning with its lead still intact.

In the bottom of the ninth with one out, ECU had runners on first and second, but the Tar Heels turned a 4-6-3 double play to end the game. UNC won 5-4.

Datres and Busch led the Tar Heels on Saturday. Datres had a double and a homerun along with two walks. Datres’ home run tied the game in the sixth inning, giving UNC the chance to later take the lead. Busch had two singles and two walks on the night, and he hit his 11th and 12ths RBIs of the season. 

Tyler Baum pitched a strong game for North Carolina. He logged 4.2 innings while striking out eight batters and allowing three earned runs. However, two of them came on a three-run homerun allowed by Austin Bergner. 

UNC closer Josh Hiatt finished off the win for the Tar Heels. He pitched North Carolina out of a bases loaded jam in the eighth with a double play. Ironically, he also ended the ninth inning the same way — with two runners on base, he got the hitter to ground into a game ending double play.

The game was in doubt until the last out was recorded. UNC held a 3-0 lead early in the game, but a four run inning by the Pirates switched the score in favor of ECU. UNC would score the next two runs to take a 5-4 lead, but things were far from over. In the last two innings, ECU had multiple men in scoring position, but Hiatt closed the door to secure the victory. 

Saturday’s victory ended the Tar Heels’ three game skid, including a 2-1 loss against ECU on Friday night. UNC scored over four runs for the first time since their 9-8 win over USF last weekend. North Carolina now has the opportunity to win the series against ECU on Sunday and even its record to .500. 

UNC will next take action on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. as they host ECU in Boshamer Stadium. 

@ballermike28