First-generation college students less likely to complete college

Children of college-educated parents are much more likely to complete an undergraduate degree than children whose parents did not attend college, according to a recent study by the U.S. Department of Education.

The study, published in early February, compared students whose parents attended at least some college to first-generation college students in how they fared after enrolling in post-secondary education.

To do this, the study established three separate categories of students: first-generation college students, students whose parents attended some amount of college and students whose parents earned a bachelor’s degree. Each of the last two categories were referred to in the study as “continuing-generation” students.

A “persistence track” measurement was created for each category of students and their progress toward a credential.

The study revealed having parents who attended even some amount of college made an impact on their children’s likelihood to stay on their persistence track. If a parent earned a bachelor’s degree their children were substantially more likely to stay on the persistence track than first-generation college students.

These findings support previous research, which has indicated that first-generation college students face substantially more challenges in completing their post-secondary education than their continuing-generation peers.

For instance, with the guidance of a parent who has attended college, findings indicate a continuing-generation student would likely have greater background knowledge of office hours, citation methods and a major's significance. 

Stephen Farmer, vice provost for enrollment and undergraduate admissions at UNC, said the University has enrolled more first-generation students and these students are graduating at a higher rate. 

He cited the Carolina Firsts program as a tremendous resource for first-generation students to access on campus that helps students adjust to the speed and activities of college.

“The goals we have for students is that all students should achieve at higher levels than they have previously ... We have a dedicated faculty," he said. "And we don’t see any reason why we can’t have the highest graduation among public universities in the country.”

Farmer and Robert Blouin, provost and executive vice chancellor of the University, are two of various members of the faculty that were first-generation students. According to Farmer, the faculty's ability to empathize with the circumstances first-generation students at Carolina experience provides a unique perspective and asset to first-generation students.

Others are less certain of the effectiveness UNC has had in helping first-generation students. 

Jose Sampson, a sophomore who immigrated from Nicaragua to North Carolina when he was 10 years old, was less complimentary of the program.

“All they do is send a small email once a week about things happening on campus," he said. 

Sampson said he would like to see more effort on the University's part toward making staff available to speak face-to-face, especially during his first year. 

“Carolina is very good at recruiting first-generation students," he said. "But in my experience, the University doesn’t follow through once you’re here."

@jonnycook15