UNC gymnastics falls to reigning national champion Oklahoma, 198.150 to 195.750

Alexis Allen Temple

Alexis Allen competes in the beam routine a Jan. 19 meet against Temple in Carmichael Arena. 

The North Carolina gymnastics team faced off against the reigning national champions on Sunday. The Tar Heels fell to the No. 1 Oklahoma Sooners, 198.15 to 195.75.

North Carolina started the meet off on the uneven bars. Senior Kaitlynn Hedelund tied her season-high 9.775 on bars and recorded the best score for the Tar Heels, which earned her a seventh-place finish. North Carolina earned 48.075 points on the uneven bars, compared to Oklahoma’s 49.575.

The Tar Heels then took on vault. Junior Madison Hargrave kicked the event off and tied her career-high score with a 9.75. Sophomore Alexis Allen and Hedelund both set new season highs with scores of 9.825 and 9.875, respectively. Senior Madison Nettles and sophomore Khazia Hislop tied for fourth place for the Tar Heels after tying their career best 9.875 score.

The team set a new season-high score of 49.175 on vault but still trailed Oklahoma heading into the third rotation.

The third rotation was the team’s strongest event — the floor routine. Hargrave started the rotation off with a career-best score of 9.8. Senior Morgan Lane recorded a season-best score of 9.875, which earned her sixth place. Hislop earned the highest score for the Tar Heels. Her score of a 9.9 was enough for a third-place finish. It was North Carolina’s second season-high rotation of the night, as the team finished with a score of 49.275.

North Carolina ended the night on balance beam, recording a season-high 49.225. Lane tied her career-high score on beam with a 9.950, which earned her a second-place finish, the highest of the night for the Tar Heels. Hislop also tied her career-high score with a 9.9. The team recorded a season-high overall score of 195.75.

Lane and Hislop both had big nights. Lane won the all-around competition for the Tar Heels with a season-high all-around score of 39.300. She finished 12th on vault, eighth on uneven bars and second on beam. Hislop also performed extremely well, per usual. She finished fourth on vault, fourth on beam and third on floor.

The Sooners ran away with the meet early on. The Tar Heels were down 1.4 points after the first rotation, and that number continued to grow throughout the night.

Why does this matter?

Oklahoma is the reigning national champion, so the Tar Heels shouldn’t take the loss too hard.

Several of North Carolina’s gymnasts recorded career-high and season-high scores, and this shows that the Tar Heels have the ability to post a winning record. The team recorded a season-high collective score of a 195.75, and this shows that the Tar Heels are headed in the right direction.

Where do they play next? 

North Carolina will head to Raleigh to face N.C. State, Michigan and Brown on Saturday, Feb. 17, at 6 p.m. in its second quad meet of the season.