Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

North Carolina gymnastics moves above .500 with 195.4-192.1 home win over Brown

Lauren Weisel gymnastics

Senior Lauren Weisel competes against Brown in the North Carolina gymnastics team's meet on Feb. 19 on Carmichael Arena.

The North Carolina gymnastics team defeated Brown University, 195.4-192.1, on Monday afternoon in Carmichael Arena to win its second consecutive meet.

The Tar Heels (6-5, 1-3 EAGL) started out the day by competing in the vault. UNC racked up a total of 49.025 points in this round, its fourth straight competition with at least 49 points in the event.

Four of the six UNC gymnasts had a score of 9.825, including a career-high for junior Madison Hargrave. Brown competed at the uneven bars during the first rotation and put up a score of 47.775.

At the end of the first rotation, UNC held a 49.025-47.775 lead.

In rotation two, North Carolina competed in bars, while Brown participated in the vault. 

The Tar Heels amounted 48.650 points in the bars. Sophomore Alexis Allen received a score of 9.725, and senior Madison Nettles scored a 9.775. However, senior Kaitlynn Hedelund stole the show as she scored a season-high 9.85 points for a first-place finish. 

Brown had 47.775 points in the vault, but it was not enough to take the lead. After rotation two, UNC led 97.700-95.550.

North Carolina performed at the balance beam in the third rotation, while Brown competed on the floor. 

The Tar Heels were led by senior Morgan Lane and sophomore Khazia Hislop in the beam. Both gymnasts recorded scores of 9.825, leading UNC to a beam score of 48.300. North Carolina’s score was not enough to win rotation three. Brown totaled 48.550 points in the third rotation, but still trailed in overall score 146-144.1.

Rotation four was a period of accolades for the Tar Heels. Madison Hargrave set a personal best of 9.825 on the floor. UNC followed her performance with four straight 9.875 scores, including a career-high for first-year Lily Dean. No one, however, could touch Khazia Hislop. She recorded a score of 9.9, the best score of the day in any competition.

Brown had 48 points in the beam, but it was not enough to catch North Carolina. The Tar Heels won by a final score of 195.4-192.1, despite Brown posting a season-high in points. 

Madison Hargrave had a career day on Monday as she recorded two career-highs, a 9.825 in both the vault and floor. 

Morgan Lane was also a key performer for the Tar Heels. She competed in all four events and had a total of 39.175 points, .225 short of her career-high. 

The competition was not decided until the very end. While UNC held a small lead entering the final round of the day, a poor showing in the fourth rotation could have resulted in a loss for Galvin's team.

However, the Tar Heels had their highest score of the day in rotation four, and they secured their sixth victory of the season.

Monday’s victory pushes UNC to a 6-5 record, and it is the team's second win over Brown in three days. North Carolina only has three regular season competitions remaining, including a meeting with No. 7 Alabama.

With a tough remaining schedule, it will be important for the Tar Heels to capitalize on every opportunity that they have. 

UNC will next be in action on Friday, March 2 to take on the Crimson Tide in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

@ballermike28