Maple View works to terminate brain cancer

maple-view-fundraiser

Maple View Farm celebrated National Eat Ice Cream for Breakfast Day by serving an ice cream themed breakfast from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturday.

A line of people in pajamas and winter coats wrapped around Maple View Farm Ice Cream’s front porch early Saturday morning, despite below-freezing temperatures.  

Maple View celebrated National Eat Ice Cream for Breakfast Day on Feb. 3 to benefit the Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke through Angels Among Us and Team Tumornators. 

The Hillsborough ice cream shop offered a special breakfast menu from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturday. The menu featured different types of sundaes including pancake, cinnamon roll and donut. Maple View also added a variety of cereals to their traditional toppings. 

Team Tumornators, a group dedicated to raising money for brain tumor research, partnered with Maple View to fundraise for the Angels Among Us 5K and Family Fun Walk. The 5K supports the Tisch Brain Tumor Center. 

This year’s Angels Among Us 5K will be on April 28 at the Duke Medical Center Campus. 

Team Tumornators said more than 1,000 people came to ice cream for breakfast at Maple View. 

Jen Skowron, a nurse and Chapel Hill resident, attended the ice cream for breakfast event with her son John, a 7-year-old at Ephesus Elementary School. 

“I just think Duke has amazing care,” said Skowron. “I think it’s wonderful to raise money for these kids and try and get rid of cancer.”

Leading up to the event, Maple View Farm posted pictures and stories of the children that Team Tumornators honors. 

This year, Team Tumornators will walk for Jake Ingham, Ridge Riley, Brodie Curtis and Dominick Lawrence, who are all undergoing treatment. Team Tumornators will also walk in memory of Howell Brown III. 

Patsy Davis, a member of Team Tumornators and a retired nurse, said she will walk in the Angels Among Us 5K in honor of her niece who passed away two weeks ago after fighting brain cancer. 

Davis said Team Tumornators will continue to host fundraising events to help researchers find more treatments for brain tumors. 

Team Tumornators plans to have another ice cream for breakfast event at Maple View on April 21, as well was a fundraiser at Maple View after 12 p.m. on April 22. Maple View also hosted a fundraising event for brain tumor research in April 2017. 

Maple View has a history of collaborating with local charity organizations and nonprofits to help fundraise for issues that affect Orange County residents.

Brandon Jozwiak, a residential real estate consultant, said he treated friends and clients to ice cream to support Team Tumornators.

“I knew there would be a lot of people, but I was amazed that in 30 degrees in February that there are so many people here,” Jozwiak said. “It’s always a good time to eat ice cream for breakfast, especially when it’s for a good cause." 

@maringwolf

More in Food Issue

More in Food & Drink