Letter: Not our residents, not our obligation

It isn’t the job of North Carolina residents to subsidize out-of-state students wishing to attend public universities in N.C. 

I don’t expect to receive the same financial aid from an out-of-state school as compared to a school that my parent’s tax dollars have supported. 

According to UNC’s website: “Funding to support the 17-campus University of North Carolina system is nearly $2.5 billion or 12 percent of the overall state budget.” 

How many of those tax dollars were paid in by residents of New York? 

The top five states where students are coming from all have a median income greater than N.C. 

Attracting quality international students is a laudable goal. 

However, supporting individuals from states that are more than capable of supporting their own university system is a rip off to our taxpayers. 

If people are unhappy about the quality of public universities in their home state, perhaps instead of seeking financial aid to go elsewhere, they should devote more of their energy towards shifting their state’s budget towards education. 

I can’t thank the fine individuals enough who work and pay their taxes in this state which allows college to be affordable for my family! 

While I still champion and believe in diversity, there are more than enough diverse North Carolinians who simply can’t afford UNC. 

We have an obligation to the tax payers of this state to put them first.

Early William

English

Junior