LAB! Theatre's newest play to explore love in a sorority

Sisterly Play
Catherine Baird (left) and Caroline Greelish (right) are performing in "Sisterly: A Memory Play." Photo courtesy of Caroline Almy.

"Sisterly: A Memory Play," written by UNC-Chapel Hill student Alexandra LaGrand, is being performed by LAB! Theatre from Feb. 3-5. Staff writer Krupa Kaneria interviewed Samantha Yancey, a producer of the show, about her thoughts and inspiration about the play. 

The Daily Tar Heel: How did you personally get involved with LAB! Theatre?

Samantha Yancey: When I got to campus at the beginning of my first year, I knew I wanted to be involved in student theater in some capacity. I had never stage managed before, but there was a low-commitment stage managing position open with LAB!, and I figured, "Why not try something new?" I fell in love with LAB! as a company, and I ended up stage managing for another production, and I have been an executive producer on the board since last May.

DTH: What was it like being a producer and producing this show?

SY: This is actually my first time producing a main stage production and it has been really interesting to discover all that producing a show entails. While I may not be in the room for long rehearsals every night, I have to make sure we have a room to rehearse in and make sure the cast and director have the things they need to have a smooth rehearsal process and show.  

DTH: How is this show different than maybe some of the other shows that you have worked on?

SY: I've been really fortunate to work on a lot of different student scripts in some capacity, but there's something really special about this production. There's so much passion behind every word of this script, and every person involved in this process is so incredibly dedicated to the project. It's really incredible to watch all of this come together. 

DTH: How did you decide to put on this show?

SY: We were actually looking to add a third show to our spring season back in November, and Alexandra asked one of the other producers if we'd consider her script. (The producer) sent it to me and I sat down to read a few pages before an appointment, and I ended up being late to the appointment because I couldn't put it down. I was immediately hooked, and I knew I had to be a part of bringing it to life.

DTH: What was the inspiration for this play?

SY: While I cannot attest to what inspired the play, I can say that it is a true exploration of what it means to be a sorority sister while pursuing a once-in-a-lifetime love. Not only do you see the primary relationship between the two main characters and how that is or is not sisterly, you get to see how other people interact with them as well as each other. The audience members get to choose for themselves what the true definition of sisterhood is and where true love fits into that. 

DTH: How long have you been preparing for the show? 

SY: We have been planning this show since we got back from Thanksgiving break, and we will have rehearsed the show for two weeks come opening.

DTH: How does "Sisterly" compare to other shows LAB! Theatre has done? 

SY: While there are four incredible theater companies on campus, something that makes LAB! unique is that we have a really flexible season structure, so we have the ability to produce the newest plays because of that flexibility. This show aligns perfectly with our commitment to producing new works.

DTH: What are some highlights of the show?

SY: Be prepared to feel every emotion you're capable of in just under an hour and 15 minutes. The characters in the show are all such real people, and it's impossible not to feel every emotion with them.

DTH: What was your favorite thing about this show?

SY: My favorite thing about this show is that it is student-written, and it is really incredible to watch a story that a student on our own campus is so passionate about telling have the opportunity to be brought to life.

DTH: Why should people come to the show? 

SY: Not only is this an incredibly beautiful script, but it is written by a UNC Student. This is as student-created as student theater can get, plus, admission to all LAB! Theatre productions is completely free, so there's no reason not to come out and support all the incredible artists involved. 

@krupakaneria