UNC softball falls to Elon, 2-1, on the road

Brittany Pickett JMU
Brittany Pickett pitches against James Madison on April 26, 2017, in Anderson Stadium.

On Wednesday afternoon, the North Carolina softball team traveled to Elon University and fell at the hands of the Phoenix, 2-1.

The Tar Heels (3-2) had many opportunities to score, but were unable to capitalize with runners on base in key situations.

The team fell behind early in the second inning when centerfielder Kara Shutt drove in teammate Tia Mitchell with a double. The Phoenix (3-2) doubled the lead with a single from Hannah Olson that scored Shutt.

In the fourth, UNC got a run back. Micaela Abbatine entered the game as a pinch runner and scored on a throwing error, committed on a fly ball out. Neither team scored for the remainder of the game, as the Phoenix went on to win, 2-1.

Lack of execution by UNC was a recurring theme, and the team left several runners on base despite four errors from Elon.

For the Tar Heels, Abbatine scored the only run off of a throwing error. Sophomore Brittany Pickett was able to strike out five batters in four scoreless innings of relief. Kiani Ramsey produced the only multi-hit performance for the team.

Elon scored two early runs in the bottom of the second and then was able to hold off the Tar Heels for the rest of the game.

Although UNC was never able to take the lead, the game came down to the wire. The team landed two runners on base in the top of the fifth, and operated efficiently on defense. In the bottom of the fifth and sixth, the Tar Heels were able to get consecutive one-two-three innings, an impressive feat regardless of the loss.

This loss pushed the Tar Heels to 3-2, and while it is still early on in the year, these games are important as they try to find their identity this season.

The lack of execution hinted at possibly bigger problems for the team’s future, as UNC was unable to take the lead despite several mistakes from the Phoenix.

Head coach Donna Papa expressed this disappointment in the team’s inability to execute.

“Whenever you put a team out there on the field," she said, "you have to play."

She hopes that the team will be be able to bounce back for the upcoming games and work out its offensive struggles.

North Carolina takes on Illinois on Friday at 4 p.m. at home, as part of the ACC/Big Ten challenge.

@keeganwill