Third quarter run powers Miami over North Carolina women's basketball, 92-72

Paris Kea Miami

Guard Paris Kea (22) dribbles past a Miami defender on Feb. 4 at Carmichael Arena.

The Miami Hurricanes (16-7, 6-4 ACC) defeated the North Carolina women's basketball team (14-9, 4-6 ACC) 92-72 on Sunday afternoon in Carmichael Arena. 

The game started off with a back-and-forth battle before Miami gained a 13-9 advantage, including nine points from first-year guard Mykea Gray.

North Carolina followed closely behind the rest of the quarter and the Hurricanes held a 23-19 lead headed into the second period. 

Miami had a hot start in the second quarter and stretched its lead to 29-19. The Tar Heels battled back to cut the lead to 32-30, but the Hurricanes, refusing to be caught, stretched the lead back out to 10 once again.

Headed into halftime, the Hurricanes had a sizeable 45-36 lead. Mykea Gray led the team with 12 points and added a rebound. Paris Kea, the scoring leader for the Tar Heels, had 19 points, while  forward Jaelynn Murray recorded four blocks.

After a relatively close first half, the third quarter changed the entire complexion of the game. Miami started the half missing its first two shots, then followed by making five of its next six to increase its lead to 58-46 with under five minutes left in the quarter. The team further built on this stretch by making 7-9 shots, including 3-4 from beyond the arc to close out the quarter on a 10-0 run.

With one quarter left, the team compiled a 73-52 lead from four double-digit performers, an offensive production that could not be matched. Strong scoring performances from Kea and first-year Janelle Bailey were not enough to keep the game close.

UNC offered little resistance in the fourth quarter and the Hurricanes continued to dominate. They held a 20 point lead and coasted to the win. 

Kea lit up the scoreboard for the Tar Heels on Sunday with 31 points, three rebounds, and one assist on 11-16 shooting. She was perfect from 3-point range and knocked down five 3-pointers in the loss.

In addition to Kea, Bailey added 14 points, six rebounds, and three blocks. Outside of these two performances, however, the Tar Heels were overmatched. The rest of the team combined scored 27 points.

Miami had five double digit scorers led by senior forward Erykah Davenport’s 20 points and 11 rebounds. In addition to Davenport, Mykea gray scored 14 points along with three assists.    

While the Hurricanes led for the majority of the game, they put the game away in the third quarter. Miami stretched its lead to 19 points after knocking down six of eight shots midway through the third quarter and then closed out the quarter on a 10-0 run to hold a commanding 21 point lead. 

The Tar Heels were never able to comeback from this. Miami stretched its lead to the 23, the largest margin of the game, and held on the rest of the game. 

This game is the third straight loss for the Tar Heels. They now have a 4-6 record in ACC play and they have been winless since starting out conference play 4-3, including a huge overtime victory over rival Duke. 

The Tar Heels will be back in action on Feb. 7 when they take on the Virginia Tech Hokies in Carmichael Arena at 7 p.m. 

@ballermike28